Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #1

Stock Door Speaker Enclosures

I am looking to install some stock door speakers in my 2002 Boxster which came with no door speakers. I have purchased door panels with speakers. Does anyone know where I can purchase the factory plastic speaker enclosures inside the door panel which house the door speakers? Or a part no? I suppose I can try an porsche auto dismantler. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
bmussatti

Have you tried places like www.sunsetporsche.com or www.suncoastporsche.com?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #3

I have a set I just pulled out of my car......PM me if you'd like them

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdyh
I am looking to install some stock door speakers in my 2002 Boxster which came with no door speakers. I have purchased door panels with speakers. Does anyone know where I can purchase the factory plastic speaker enclosures inside the door panel which house the door speakers? Or a part no? I suppose I can try an porsche auto dismantler. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
IMHO, I'd skip the stock enclosures. They can only hold a 5.25" speaker which really has no low end. I pulled mine out and made a custom baffle and mounted 6.75" drivers in there instead. Low end now is great. In fact I turned the bass on the h/u down to +2 and loudness is set to off now. Everything still looks stock, but sounds immensely better (I upgraded the dash speakers too). Here's a link to a template I created to make your own door baffles easily:

http://boxster.wikia.com/images/b/bf/Door_Baffle_Template.pdf

and a whole how to guide for upgrading the boxsters sound system (by Andy M over on RennTech):
http://boxster.wikia.com/images/b/b6/Boxster_speakers_update_article.pdf

I'd use Andy's Guide for how to remove the door panel etc. but then sub in my baffle template as it uses all the OEM mounting holes.

Good luck!
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:35 AM   #5

Hi,

If your car did not come with Door Speakers, it means that it was equipped with the M441 Option (didn't think they actually made any of these for the US Mkt., especially for '02).

So, you do not have the Haes External 4X40W Amplifier (M490 Option). The Chassis Amplifier in the CDR 220 is only 4X18W, and adding door speakers will probably be inadequate.

I'd suggest either getting the OEM, or an Aftermarket Extrernal Amp so you can drive these speakers w/ acceptable volume levels. Any Dismantler s/b able to hook you up. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
IMHO, I'd skip the stock enclosures. They can only hold a 5.25" speaker which really has no low end. I pulled mine out and made a custom baffle and mounted 6.75" drivers in there instead. Low end now is great. In fact I turned the bass on the h/u down to +2 and loudness is set to off now. Everything still looks stock, but sounds immensely better (I upgraded the dash speakers too). Here's a link to a template I created to make your own door baffles easily:
This is definitely the way to go. I have 6.5" woofers in my doors and it does make a difference.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:31 AM   #7

If you want to purchase a 4x40 Haes amp, I may have one available. Am in the process of upgrading to a 6x40 (hopefully this w/e). Thought I might save the old one, but I might be willing to part with it if I have a chance. PM me if interested and we can discuss.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:33 PM   #8

I appreciate all the input but I am not much of an audiophile and just want to fill out the sound. I added the rear speaker kit, so if I add the door speakers, will need a 6 channel amp-I believe. Plan to purchase the 6 channel stock amp for this. Already found someone on this site willing to sell the stock door speakers with enclosures. I know it is better to upgrade to 6.5 but don't want to spend that much time or expense on it.
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #9

I understand your needs as I'm no audiophile either. Now beer-ophile, that I am .

Anyhow, so you're looking to fill out the sound with stock door "tuned ports"? In that case, I'd save yourself the time and more importantly $$$$ and just mount your new door panels w/ nothing behind them. You'll get the same effect. I'm not saying that to be a smart a$$, I mean it in all sincerety.

Do a search in the archives here, on ppbb.com or on renntech and you'll see what I mean. Every 6 months or so, someone w/ a 986 will post "help - my door speakers don't work". Those of us who have been around will them to turn up the radio really loud and put your hand next to it - you'll feel some slight vibrations/air movement - that's it. The poster will then come back and say, yeah I guess they are working, but they really suck/seem useless/etc. Reason being, the OEM amp has a filter built in that only sends low end freqs to the doors. With 5.25" speakers, you can only get so low and are therefore only getting (in my est) about 5-10% of the possible freq from them.

However, if you are seriously bent on installing the OEM tuned ports, I'd only pay $10 ($20 MAX!) for a set (including shipping). When I ripped mine out, I thought hey, I'll put 'em on ebay. Checked it out and 6 other people had the same thoughts as me. Most of the auctions ended w/ no bidders - even w/ opening reserves of only $9.99. So in the end, I left them sit in the garage for a week and then just pitched 'em.

JM2C

Good luck!

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote