Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #1

Electrical problems

Trying to get my box back on the road after a winter in storage. I had a battery maintainer on her all winter and hoped she would start right up like last year. Not to be. She wouldnt turn over so i had to give her a jump, which seemed to work fine. I let her idle for a bit and then took her for a short ride (few miles, 5- 10 minutes, got her up to 50 or so mph)

Brought her back home and put her back in the garage for some cleaning. At one point i closed the driver side door and the window closed up as ususal. Then, it started to go down an inch, then back up, then down an inch, then up - all on its own. Then all hell broke loose. The other window started with the up and down and the spoiler went up on its own. It is now stuck with the windows 1/2 down and the spoiler up. I tried to start her but nothing.

Im hoping i just didnt drive her long enough to charge the battery and the car is just acting this way b/c of that. I put the battery charger back on. Is there any advice/suggestions out there? Is the window/spoiler thing an indication of something in particular?

Hake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #2

dampness under the drivers seat?

any signs of rodents and chewing wires?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
bmussatti

1) How old is your battery?
2) A 5-10 minute ride is not much for the battery to charge-up
3) Bad ignition switch??
Old 03-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #4

Battery is less than a year old.
No dampness under drivers seat.
No sign of rodents, although they have been in garage in the past. I have A LOT of poison around and havent seen them lately. On my short ride the windows worked fine. If wires had been chewed i would have expected problems right away. Wont rule this out just yet though.

Would the car simply freak out like that b/c of lack of power? I will jump her again and take her on a longer ride and see what happens. Unless someone thinks that would be a bad idea for a specific reason?????
Old 03-25-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
bmussatti

Hake, what Battery Maintainer are you using? When you plug it into the cig. lighter, what happens? The Porsche ones have a red light when charging. The red light goes off when fully charged.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
fab

Sounds like a case of DAMN rodents!
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #7

i have a battery maintainer from autozone or something that attaches right to battery and plugs in the wall. My father in law brought over some super charger something or another. After a few minutes on that thing the car started right up and all electrical problems were gone. I think everything happened b/c the battery didnt get fully charged with the maintainer and then after i jumped the first time, i didnt let it charge long enogh while driving. Im going now to take her on a longer drive. We will see if it is ok again in the morning.

Thanks for everybodys help/suggestions. It makes me a lot calmer when these things happen knowing people are ready to help here.