Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Eric in Wine Country

"Inspect my Ride"

Hi,

In the last few days, my car search moved beyond this vehicle (now looking at 987 or 2003-2004 S with low miles).

But, I saw this car on Ebay last Thursday or Friday and liked the color combo so much I ordered the "Inspect My Ride" service built-in to Ebay. While it's no replacement for a PPI, it's pretty good IMO and worth the money as a precursor to a PPI that doesn't really require any work on your part besides pushing a button in Ebay.

Here is the Ebay listing:

Porsche : Boxster Porsche : Boxster | eBay

Here is the report they produced:

InspectMyRide.com Vehicle Condition Report | 2000 PORSCHE BOXSTER

Quite a difference of opinion, I'd say! Just thought I would share...

Cheers,
E

etarasoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Carnut

WOW! No sh$t there is a difference.........
Old 03-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #3

Garage
I'm a firm believer that one has to thoroughly inspect a vehicle up close, along with a professional PPI before deciding on a purchase. eBay, cars.com and other sites are great resources to find prospects . However, IMO there's no getting around the need for an onsite inspection .
Old 03-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #4

Garage
Yikes. Have the gauges been changed also? Can I ask.... what does an "inspect my ride" service cost??
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
MWH

Wow, they clearly aren't honest with their description of the vehicle. Your inspector found some significant issues...Good call on your part getting the inspection. How much was the inspection?
MWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Eric in Wine Country

The inspection cost $130.

@SeanZ4: Yeah, I'm not sure if white gauges were an option on base models but something looks a little off about them.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #7

Those don't look like white gauges... in fact I can see the bubbling...

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #8

Someone should sue the seller for misrepresentation.

Reminds me of my car after purchase. A train wreck I should have wholesales off but didn't. I'll never buy a car again without seeing it, driving it, and having it inspected.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #9

Probably the sort of inspection that will help save you time with a real heap but won't help with the more nuanced model specific issues.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
Probably the sort of inspection that will help save you time with a real heap but won't help with the more nuanced model specific issues.
Maybe not, but he has saved himself the time and effort (and probably the pressurized sales pitch) on what initially reads as a reasonable buy - reasonable until you inspect it that is....
Hell, how many times have you driven to look at an advertised car and come away thoroughly dissapointed? Some of these car yards can tell untruths (see original ad spiel) - whichever country I've lived in, it never changes - second hand car advertisements that border on lies or (at best) misinformation!

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 03-28-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
Eric in Wine Country

@Steve: Exactly. The inspection saved me a trip to see it (hundreds of miles away) and/or the expense of a proper PPI.

I don't know what a good rate for a PPI is but I'm paying $300 to have a dealer inspect the car I hope to buy. They say it takes 3 hours. $300 would have been a waste for this car.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

I have turned down several eBay cars after having the done PPI remotely. I have also bought cars based soley on the remote PPI and received exactly what the report said it was. That is why I always say that a PPI will be the best $300 (or in this case, $130) that you've ever spent!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #13

Its not always so bad .. both my boxster I've bought online .. first a 2000 through eBay with an extended aftermarket warranty from a private seller .. second a 2001 CPO directly through an out of state dealer .. both time no PPI.

I've been happy with both purchases. For me, when I see a potential new toy in person, I get overly excited and loses much negotiability. Thus for me, its a better option to haggle out the deal online or over the phone as long as I have a warranty.

To be fair I've put both warranty through its paces and feel like I've really gotten my moneys worth ( got a new transmission with the CPO car ) .. without these warranties my opinion of buying online might be much different.

Last edited by vijen6; 03-29-2012 at 12:46 AM.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #14

My .02. The only scary thing I saw in ther report was the ABS warning.

Faded, broken grills, ash tray lids etc are no big deal. I don't know what was meant by the 'rear engine compartment open indicator' is. My car doesn't have one. Get the radio code and the radio will most likely work. The top worked, the car ran and drove well.

This is a 12 year old car.

I'm not trying to insinuate that the OP should have bought the car. The asking price was certainly very 'top dollar' for the car. The price the bidding ended at would be on the high end of a fair price.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #15

Irratic idle (air leak, AOS, maybe clean the MAF)....
ABS light on then off next time they started the car sure sounds like a $15 ignition switch.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
Eric in Wine Country

I know the reserve on that car was $14k. I think the main issue here is that you have a seller describing the car as virtually perfect but there are obvious, obvious issues with it.