Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Anything wrong with tinting the windows?

I'm looking to do a 20% tint job on the driver and passenger windows,has anyone had any issues w/ tinting them on a Boxster? I'm just looking to try and find a way of keeping the interior cooler during the summer. If anyone has any pics of their 986 Boxster w/ tinted windows please post them.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
boggtown

Heres my 20%, no problems. Make sure the guy uses a heat gun at the bottom because of the automatic roll down function.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:15 PM   #3

Search in Jeph's threads he's got tinting and then some...

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #4

Ees true.

20% is dark, especially at night. I often roll down my windows for safer driving. But man, I can pick my nose all day long w/o anyone seeing me!
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
bmussatti

I have heard that 20% tint makes it very difficult to see the valet stand!

Jeph, I hope you wash your hands.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:19 PM   #6

Hi,

Not a fan of tinting windows. That's not to say I don't like tinted windows, but there are 2 problems in doing it as I see it.

It can make a Cop more jittery if you're pulled over and he can't see in the car - not the best time to put him ill at ease.

Also, adding a tint kit (as opposed to tinted glass) can look poor if done improperly. Also, since the tint is basically a plastic film, over time it picks up all sorts of scratches from cleaning and running the windows Up/Down and gives a bad appearance.

Finally, it does reduce your vision on cloudy days and at night. Just my $0.02...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I'm looking to do a 20% tint job on the driver and passenger windows.
why, blink..was there another window that you could tint beside driver and passenger window hehehehehe! j/k

I know what you mean to cool the interior down during summer...coz' it get hot in there! Is there such thing as a rear plastic window conditioner
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #8

I have a 3x black box and had 20% tint and yanked it off. Looked stupid with the windows up and top down on the freeway. It was also scary how close I came to scraping my car getting into the garage at night with the windows up. Couldn't see a thing.

The removal was mandated by the state of Texas though... I could not get a state inspection sticker with it on. Too dark.

Actually, a much lighter tint will reduce a lot of heat and keep you legal and safe. Not as cool looking on a black boxster at night, but it does cut down the heat.

I was also amazed at how much roomier the interior felt without it on. With the top up and windows up, it made me feel a bit claustraphobic.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 03-22-2007 at 08:47 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
ive had 9 cars, and not one was tinted.

all i need is some more stuff to get me pulled over, my GFs brother has a stang with limo tints, he gets pulled over on daily bases...i just dont need that
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:21 AM   #10

Does anyone have a chart of the different tint %s?
Old 03-23-2007, 01:24 AM   #11
fab

Blink,
I've asked the same question recently, search for fab.
I have an appt. today. I would recommend that you find out what product the installer is using. I actually knew the product (Madico) that I wanted on my car I called the distributor and they referred my to the installer(s).
Check out their website
http://www.madico.com/advceramic_automotive.asp
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab
Blink,
I've asked the same question recently, search for fab.
I have an appt. today. I would recommend that you find out what product the installer is using. I actually knew the product (Madico) that I wanted on my car I called the distributor and they referred my to the installer(s).
Check out their website
http://www.madico.com/advceramic_automotive.asp
I guess I lucked out because their U.S. headquarters is here in Sacramento so hopefully they will know of an installers or two around here. I will call tommorow and find out more. Just to make sure that we are on the same page,these Madico products are basically 'super tint' right?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

.....It can make a Cop more jittery if you're pulled over and he can't see in the car - not the best time to put him ill at ease......

Little OT but I agree.

That is why, whenever I get pulled over, I roll down all my windows, keep both hands on the steering wheel, and look straight ahead. When he asks me for my ID I tell him it is in my back pocket and ask him if I can get it. When he asks for the registration I tell him it is in the glove compartment, I don't have any weponds in there and again ask him if I can get it.

These were recomendations from a law enforcement friend about 10 years ago and I would swear that they appreciate it so much that I almost always only get a warning.

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-00BoxsterS
Little OT but I agree.

That is why, whenever I get pulled over, I roll down all my windows, keep both hands on the steering wheel, and look straight ahead. When he asks me for my ID I tell him it is in my back pocket and ask him if I can get it. When he asks for the registration I tell him it is in the glove compartment, I don't have any weponds in there and again ask him if I can get it.

These were recomendations from a law enforcement friend about 10 years ago and I would swear that they appreciate it so much that I almost always only get a warning.
Hi,

Actually, I was told this by a life-long friend and one of St. Paul's Finest. He said not knowing what's on the other side of the glass is uncomfortable and he personally uses the Cruiser's loudspeaker to direct the driver to run down the windows and put their hands outside the vehicle before he'll approach it - said they're trained to be weary of tinted glass...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:19 AM   #15

1. imho tinting windows in a flashy car like this is a must. I really hate the weirdo feeling of sitting at a light and people are staring at you. And depending on the age/maturity of the car next to (particularly in top down months) I will get the challenge to drag race. Having the tinted window us avoids this 60% of the time.

2. ALWAYS roll down your windows when getting pulled over and open the glove compartment. ALWAYS keep your hands on the wheel and tell your passengers to rest their hands on the windows or dash where they are in plain sight. Have your wallet out before he gets out of the police car. Don't give the cop attitude.

3. roll your windows down in dark settings like parking garages, not all the way down is necessary.

In a light grey interior I might go a little darker than 20%. Obey your local laws like having a front plate on your, which I haven't had for nearly 10 years...makes getting zapped by lazer easier. Just paid my first ticket for no plate only last year.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #16

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
Heres my 20%, no problems. Make sure the guy uses a heat gun at the bottom because of the automatic roll down function.

Dang Bogg, your garage is cool!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:32 AM   #17

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I've always gone full 100% limo tint on my cars, i figure if im going to get pulled over and be forced to pull it off, might as well enjoy complete privacy while im driving... works well on those days im sick and really need to clean in and pick my nose while driving.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg

Last edited by CJ_Boxster; 03-23-2007 at 09:35 AM.
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:32 PM   #18
fab

HTML Code:
I guess I lucked out because their U.S. headquarters is here in Sacramento so hopefully they will know of an installers or two around here. I will call tommorow and find out more. Just to make sure that we are on the same page,these Madico products are basically 'super tint' right?
What is super tint?
painted bumperettes
door sills
Valentine One
Old 03-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #19
fab

Quote:
What is super tint?
painted bumperettes
door sills
Valentine One
Old 03-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab
What is super tint?
By 'super tint' I meant that it's supposedly better then regular window tint. I found out that a shop 3 miles from my house installs it so I will swing by and take a look at it. The shop quoted me $80 over the phone and that's actually less any other tint shop around here. Thanks for the suggestion.