Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2007, 02:05 PM   #1

Thinking of purchasing a 2002 Boxster. Need your advice.

I am in Pennsylvania and have my eye on a silver 2002 Boxster with blue top and blue interior with 16,500 miles on it. It has the Tiptronic. The dealer is not a Porsche dealer. It's a high end used car dealer. They are asking $24,900 firm on the price. I have never owned a Porsche but have always wanted one. I would be trading in my commuter car for it.

Can anyone tell me if this is a reasonable price and any advice before I buy it? They are telling me it is a one owner car. You can check it out at www.eimports4less.com

They have 2 silver 2002 Boxsters. I'm looking at the one with 16,500 miles and not the one with 36, 000.

Please help me feel good about my decision!

Thanks,
Paul

icedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #2

Hi,

It's nice - is missing a Switch Blank on the Center Console where the Heated Seat option goes. Looks like 18" Wheels which is a plus.

Try to run the VIN through a Porsche Dealer (or have them do it) to see if you can get the Service Records. Need to do a PPI - $200-$300.

They're not giving it away. If everything checked out, I'd offer them $22k - Take it or Leave it - the World is FULL of used Boxsters...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #3

Thanks.

I can't find many in my area and I already asked him if he would take less and he said he was firm on that price. Also, can I get a plug for the missing one in the heated seat button to match? I am also nervous about buying a car with no warranty. Are they reliable cars and is maintenance expensive like a BMW?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #4

Do not purchase any used Porsche without a PPI.

If you search here on how to buy a used Porsche, you will find tons of valuable info.

Educate yourself before the mechanic does it for you!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #5

what's a PPI?

what's a PPI? A full service inspection by a Porsche dealer?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedude
what's a PPI? A full service inspection by a Porsche dealer?

Pre
Purchase
Inspection

Can be done by a dealership or a trusted indy shop.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Pre
Purchase
Inspection

Can be done by a dealership or a trusted indy shop.

Thanks. Sounds like you have a nice one. I couldn't afford a newer one.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #8

Hey Icedude,

I live in Maryland now, but I have a little farm in Souderton, off of 113. I'm familiar with this dealer, and he gets pretty nice cars.

That being said, listen to what the guys have already told you and insist on a PPI. Don Rosen or Brandywine are probably closest to you. A PPI is the best $300.00 you'll ever spend. When these things break, they break big.

Don't settle for a car just because there aren't many close to you. If the car isn't exactly what you want, for the price you want, keep looking. They are reasonably plentiful. It took me a while, searching nationwide, to find mine, but I finally found it and I'm very happy with it.

Good luck in your search...

Oh, yeah...GO FLYERS...GO EAGLES!!!
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:12 PM   #9

Thanks Grizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Hey Icedude,

I live in Maryland now, but I have a little farm in Souderton, off of 113. I'm familiar with this dealer, and he gets pretty nice cars.

That being said, listen to what the guys have already told you and insist on a PPI. Don Rosen or Brandywine are probably closest to you. A PPI is the best $300.00 you'll ever spend. When these things break, they break big.

Don't settle for a car just because there aren't many close to you. If the car isn't exactly what you want, for the price you want, keep looking. They are reasonably plentiful. It took me a while, searching nationwide, to find mine, but I finally found it and I'm very happy with it.

Good luck in your search...

Oh, yeah...GO FLYERS...GO EAGLES!!!

Thanks for the good advice. I am up north above Allentown and heard of Don Rosen. If the car checks out on a PPI, is the asking price reasonable or high?

BIG FLYERS AND EAGLES FAN!!!!!!!! I like the rims on your Boxster. Are those 18's and did you put them on aftermarket?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the good advice. I am up north above Allentown and heard of Don Rosen. If the car checks out on a PPI, is the asking price reasonable or high?

BIG FLYERS AND EAGLES FAN!!!!!!!! I like the rims on your Boxster. Are those 18's and did you put them on aftermarket?
The price is a little high, but if it's exactly the car you want, who'll remember in 100 years? I'd bet that if the dealer sees you're a serious buyer, the price will become more flexible.

The rims on my car are 19s. They're TSWs that I got from Wheel Dynamics in California (although you can get them anywhere). They were very reasonable, but I think they look nice on the car. I just posted a good picture of them in another thread about wheel centers.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
The price is a little high, but if it's exactly the car you want, who'll remember in 100 years? I'd bet that if the dealer sees you're a serious buyer, the price will become more flexible.

The rims on my car are 19s. They're TSWs that I got from Wheel Dynamics in California (although you can get them anywhere). They were very reasonable, but I think they look nice on the car. I just posted a good picture of them in another thread about wheel centers.
I was just thinking having only 16,500 miles was awesome. I am reading alot about maintenance and problems. Are Boxsters expensive to upkeep and are they reliable.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #12

Smile

Quote:
I was just thinking having only 16,500 miles was awesome. I am reading alot about maintenance and problems. Are Boxsters expensive to upkeep and are they reliable.

These are all relative terms. To Donald Trump, the costs would be nothing!

However, to us mortals, most of us think that the maint and repair costs could be lower.

The reliability question is even more contentious.

Lets put it this way; without a warranty, you need to have some cash avaiable for your Porsche.

It ain't a Honda!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
These are all relative terms. To Donald Trump, the costs would be nothing!

However, to us mortals, most of us think that the maint and repair costs could be lower.

The reliability question is even more contentious.

Lets put it this way; without a warranty, you need to have some cash avaiable for your Porsche.

It ain't a Honda!

Maybe an S2000 is the way to go!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #14

My next door neighbor has an S2000. To me, it's a boring looking car with very little soul. It's a good performer and probably more reliable than the Box, but I wouldn't be willing to trade. Parked next to one another (same color), our Boxster makes the S2000 look like a Yugo.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #15

Hey i have a 2002, and i love it!

i bought it with 10,000miles, and have put over 30,000miles over 3 years. i have had to buy new tires and my first service ....grand total over 30,000 miles has been $1300.00. thats not bad, probably average!

these guys are right, ask the dealer that has the car, if you can take it over to the porsche dealership and have them do the ppi. if they say no, then don't buy it....if yes buy it and you will love the car. soooo happy i didnt end up buying the s2000 or the 350z, which were my two other choices.

buy it!
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:25 PM   #16

I'd say the price is a LITTLE on the high side... Saw a nice 2002 in Houston that was asking about $22.5, IIRC.

Seen 2001s go for 19k (got mine for 19k) up to 22k.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:54 PM   #17
fab

do you currently service your vehicle? If not, assuming that you will keep your same routine either the stealership or independent gargar will be and YES it could be costly. But there are ALOT of good tips and info on this web site that can help you but keep in mind porsche parts are not cheap!
Do you home work before you make any decision....Good luck
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:10 AM   #18

Get the PPI done @ Holbert's Porsche

They are only about 20 minutes south of where eimports is located right on Route 611 south of Doylestown. Follow Rte 313 south to Rte 611 and go south about 10 more minutes. Their service department is open until around noon on Saturday. They are a relatively small, low-key dealership (compared to Brandywine where I got my car) with pretty knowledgeable staff. Doesn't hurt that Bob Holbert was a legendary Porsche race driver back in the 60's.

http://holbert.porschedealer.com/
MitchB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
I'd say the price is a LITTLE on the high side... Saw a nice 2002 in Houston that was asking about $22.5, IIRC.

Seen 2001s go for 19k (got mine for 19k) up to 22k.
Are you talking about base, S, or does it not matter. I got my 2000 S in December with 38,000 mi for $21,500 and I thought I got a great deal. Now I'm not so sure.

FYI - Even if I didn't, I don't care. I LOVE this car. It's exactly what I would have wanted no matter how many I would have looked at (triple black, 18" wheels, and sport seats). When I first got it, I figured I would sell my BMW, drive it as a DD for a year and sell it for something else. Now I'm keeping the BMW, the Boxster is the fun weekend car and the 911SC is the one being shown the door.

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:23 AM   #20

Bought a 2002 base model for the same price in PA last August at a non-Porsche dealer. 2 month warranty. Ended up buying an outside warranty through the dealer for ~ 2 grand.

Black. No heated seats. 20k miles at the time. Stability control. Brand new top + motor replaced under Porsche warranty.

Certified Imports, LLC in Coopersburg. http://www.certifiedimports.com/

At the risk of souding like an advert... these guys were absolutely amazing to work with. Looks like they don't have a base model right now though.

They picked up the tab on the PPI.

fishage is offline   Reply With Quote