Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions
Register Garage FAQ Community Calendar

Post Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
BM, expect it to cost about $1,700 give-or-take $1K. The kits for the 997 are about $1,800. Plus labor to get it installed. If I do it, I will order from Sunset Porsche (Phil Coy is the contact)...no sales tax...about $75 for shipping.

Heck, PSE kits for the 986 still run about $1,650!

I may have to ask Mark (Houston C4S) for a test-ride before I spend the moo-la$$ !!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 874
I'd be curious as to the sound difference of the PSE on the 2.7 vs the 3.2-4. In some ways I think the engine sound on the 2.7 is better (dare I say, more high-pitched and F1).

It's certainly louder except in 1st gear.
__________________
http://i7.tinypic.com/24ovngk.jpghttp://i7.tinypic.com/24ow0id.jpg

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
SD987 and BM...group buy???
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
I'd be curious as to the sound difference of the PSE on the 2.7 vs the 3.2-4. In some ways I think the engine sound on the 2.7 is better (dare I say, more high-pitched and F1).

It's certainly louder except in 1st gear.
Hi,

I've heard alot of people say that. I've even read several articles which state that the 2.5L cars have the best exhaust sound of the lot...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 446
If you do a group buy I might be in as well.
__________________
05 987 S SOLD
Arctic Silver
Bose/Xenon

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab
 
Boxtaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,273
Garage
I thought it was out already. Here's how it sounds:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mRT98rdEU2M
__________________
Current: 07 Carrera S Cab in Midnight Blue

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #7
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
I thought it was out already. Here's how it sounds:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mRT98rdEU2M
Thanks for the link, Boxtaboy. That is true for cars ordered from the factory with that PSE option. We are talking about aftermarket from Porsche (Tequipment) to retro-fit a 987 that did not have PSE.

I hope no one here buys that guys car! Or his boots!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab
 
Boxtaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,273
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I hope no one here buys that guys car! Or his boots!!
LOL. That's funny. Yeah...killer boots.

For some reason, I was thinking that this guy retrofitted it, as someone in the UK claimed that it costs $1000 pounds sterling if you order it from the factory or $1500 pounds sterling if you retrofit it. Maybe it's only out in Europe right now, and not available in the States yet, as I know the guy who created the youtube video is from Germany.
__________________
Current: 07 Carrera S Cab in Midnight Blue

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
I thought it was out already. Here's how it sounds:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mRT98rdEU2M
I don't know if there's an on/off switch for the PSE but from the conversation it sounded like the first try was without ("ohne") PSE and then with ("mit") for the rest of the video. Sounds like the PSE adds some bass but I'm not sure it sounded thousands of $ better than stock. Or it could just be the camera mic.

Z.
__________________
'06 Boxster S, 6sp, triple-black
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...05_IMGcrop.jpg
z12358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:00 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 116
As soon as I can get Randall to give his opinion (and he
is waiting for me -- not the other way around!) you all
can have a testmonial about its sound.

At the moment, the car is all clean and ready for a concours
event this next Sunday, so no driving til then.

We are having a pollen attack around here. 1/2 inch a day
on all horizontal surfaces everywhere. I may be exaggerating
a tad, but not all that much.

So it stays in the garage.

Anyway, the factory muffler may be heavy (because it's stock)
and sorta costly, but the sound...

Mmmm mmm.


I do not like the switch logic that Porsche uses to control
the valves. So I just plugged the vacuum lines to the valves.
The DME thinks everything is just fine, no dirt is getting into
things where it shouldn't and it sounds great -- all the time.

As long as the ol' right hoof doesn't poke too hard on the
gas pedal, it's really not too loud.

But when it does...

I will let Randall tell you more whenever we get together
so he can report on it.

All the best...

- Mark

PS: Does it sound better than stock?

Oh yeah, baby. Buckle up.
Houston C4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:42 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NYC area
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
BM, expect it to cost about $1,700 give-or-take $1K. The kits for the 997 are about $1,800. Plus labor to get it installed. If I do it, I will order from Sunset Porsche (Phil Coy is the contact)...no sales tax...about $75 for shipping.

Heck, PSE kits for the 986 still run about $1,650!

I may have to ask Mark (Houston C4S) for a test-ride before I spend the moo-la$$ !!

Let's see...compared to the fabspeed muffler (which I heard bad reviews of) $1495...


And compared to ANY OTHER muffler out there which are all $1600+


I think a factory muffler that I can keep for ever and order from Porsche for $1750 is not bad at all.


I was actually predicting $2000+
__________________
Miss my Boxster
Bavarian Motorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:50 AM   #12
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Let's see...compared to the fabspeed muffler (which I heard bad reviews of) $1495...


And compared to ANY OTHER muffler out there which are all $1600+


I think a factory muffler that I can keep for ever and order from Porsche for $1750 is not bad at all.


I was actually predicting $2000+
BM, I am just guessing at the potential price. We will know more in a couple months. I will NOT go aftermarket. The ones I have seen, hang below the bumper. I don't like that look. Plus, if something goes wrong, I want Porsche's name on the hook.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:51 AM   #13
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Guys, just wondering, if I did get the PSE...would my stock Boxster S muffler be worth anything? If so, how much? Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #14
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
OK, the parts are now being sold. Here is one link:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=P&Category_Code=987s

But I think you can get better pricing from www.sunsetporsche.com.

FYI- dealer costs is $1,435.43 (w/Sport Chrono).

A fair labor quote for install would be 3-4 hours (again with Sport Chrono). Without SC, labor will be another 1.5 hours (to install the switch in the front). Some dealers are quoting crazy hours for install...like 7-10 hours!
  Reply With Quote
Post Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page