Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #1

Rear diffuser installation

Has anyone here installed aftermarket rear diffusers from eBay that sell for a couple of hundred bucks?

I jacked up my car and tried to install them after I got them and I'd barely get one bolt in the top (far too close to the muffler) and then I could not get any of the other bolts in place... it looks like the bolt receptacles in the diffusers are not placed in the right places.

I drilled a hole in the bumper where I thought one was off, and then had a look at it and I don't think they're placed properly.

The eBay listing said removing the bumper was highly recommended. Now I see why!

Anyone have any pictures of how to remove the back bumper?

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 03-19-2007 at 03:25 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #2

Sorry Randall,
..can't help ya with this one. Haven't done that mod. Maybe one of the other guys could help out here. Good luck!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Randall -

I did mine, pain in the butt if you do not take off the bumper but can be done.

Also good idea to fit them prior to painting, mine required a bit of sanding so they would fit "somewhat" flush with the bumper.

Give me a call if you like, always willing to help
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
boggtown

Well, Ive got a pdf of how to remove the bumper. I cant figure it out though, maybe you can. PM me your email if you want it.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:07 PM   #5

Randall,

Just wondering where you're at on this. I thought of going this route so your post got my attention. Hope you're having some luck getting them on.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #6

I've done nothing yet... if I have to take to a body shop to remove the bumper and put on the diffusers, I have to put it off. The BMW 545 priced renovation work I'm doing in my home is sucking all the available cash we have in the bank.

Here's a pic to show the scope of the work. Sorry for the bad shot. I cleaned the lens and it still looks like this when I shoot a dark room with a flash (anyone know what I should do to fix it?)
Old 03-22-2007, 05:48 AM   #7

Randall,

Is that the noose with which you were going to hang yourself
for ever thinking about tearing your house apart???
Houston C4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:57 AM   #8

Forutnately, those loose wires are gone now and the sheetrocking has been done, as well as some of the crown moulding. Next comes the cabinetry work, of which there is a enough to buy my boxster all over again, including the repairs and mods I've made to it!

A happy wife is a happy life. I keep repeating that over and over in my head these days.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:01 AM   #9

Looks like my first house. My wife and I bought a perfectly good house and proceeded to renovate the entire thing at one time. Took every crack in the plaster down to the first (and even second) concourse of bricks. Removed every single piece of wood and stripped, filled, and refinished them. I was buying around 50 lbs of plaster every couple of days. Dropped electrical, CAT-5E, and Coax everywhere. What a mess. Then when we finally got the place to the point where it was beautiful - we moved.

Eh.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:36 AM   #10

Ed, I hear this story a lot... renovate then move. That aint' gonna happen to us.

We've lived in this 107 year old home for 18 years now. We are renovating it as we have saved up enough to do it right (complete gut and remodel with over the top woodwork (extensive crown moulding, window and door casework and custom bulit in cabinetry), new drapes, furniture, pictures, etc.)

When this is done we'll be 65% complete. The last bit is the two bedrooms and a bathroom we want to add between them.

If the house wasn't purchased for $56K and worth $350K and $500k (hopefully) in the years to come, we wouldn't do all this. But my wife really doesn't want to hear my loud, long griping for all the crap she accumulates from garage sales so she never talks about moving to a newer home in a nicer neighborhood.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:59 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Looks like my first house. My wife and I bought a perfectly good house and proceeded to renovate the entire thing at one time. Took every crack in the plaster down to the first (and even second) concourse of bricks. Removed every single piece of wood and stripped, filled, and refinished them. I was buying around 50 lbs of plaster every couple of days. Dropped electrical, CAT-5E, and Coax everywhere. What a mess. Then when we finally got the place to the point where it was beautiful - we moved.

Eh.
You should buy a CrackHouse appartment, You'd never sell it cause it would be a never ending project. When i was in High School, i had afew friends that lived in "projects" and they are basically the same as a crackhouse or a CVS Pharmacy... nothing ever stayed fixed for longer than 3 months before breaking again.... only thing that never broke would be the cement steps that lead into the front door lol. The thing that would be most likely for me to see brand new atleast every 3 months would be front doors cause either the police are kicking them in or a theft is.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:43 AM   #12

Our neighborhood is experiencing radical changes right now. We have a double lot (which isn't saying much... lots are 25 x 130) and our house sits on both lots. However, most all the bungalows are being bulldozed or moved off the lots around us and they're taking each 25 foot lot and putting in a skinny shotgun 2 story house in its place with no yard and 36 inches on each side to uphold the building setback requirements. This makes for a 19 foot wide home that is 100 feet deep.

The crackhouse apartments are across the freeway now. The drug dealers used to rent (or squat) here in the Houston Heights for a long time because the owners of all the homes moved to the suburbs and rented cheap to illegal aliens and trashy people. Then a bunch of us smart people starting buying houses and fixing them up in the 80's because it was so close to downtown and so cheap!

So, the cranked up drug addicts come down late at night and try to break into our homes while we're asleep inside. It's happened two times to my new neighbors living in those skinny, poorly built freestanding townhomes. I pity the fool who tries this on me. I'm locked and loaded.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I pity the fool who tries this on me. I'm locked and loaded.
For you, Randall

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete

Eh.
Isn't renovation fun? Ellen and I wanted a nice place on the water (which there was no way we could afford) so we bought this...

Over the next two years, we turned it into this...

When it had been substantially completed for one day, Hurricane Isabel came and completely destroyed it. We had to do the whole project again.

Renovating twice is much more fun than renovating once.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:43 PM   #15

Oh that sucks.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Isn't renovation fun? Ellen and I wanted a nice place on the water (which there was no way we could afford) so we bought this...

Over the next two years, we turned it into this...

When it had been substantially completed for one day, Hurricane Isabel came and completely destroyed it. We had to do the whole project again.

Renovating twice is much more fun than renovating once.
Wow.

Did you at least have the insurance worked out before the storm hit? How did it turn out the second time?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:06 PM   #17

Grizz,
Did you renovate that Nissan in the "before" pic into your Box?
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:42 PM   #18

First, Randall, I'm sorry I ruined your thread. I have diffusers on my car but the guy who painted them put them on, so I'm no help to you whatsoever.

Now that the thread is already ruined, this is what your kitchen looks like after a hurricane comes through (photo by contractors):

My flood insurance was in place, up to the maximum amount you can buy. But, of course, the insurance companies have rules for their rules, for their rules, all designed to beat you out of as much money as possible. We came out six digits in the hole, and the first number was not a one. Also, we had to live in the house throughout the entire process. There were no shelters or FEMA trailers, and I can assure you no Feds showed up in my neighborhood with a credit card for me. My neighbors and I discussed rioting, looting and blaming the government for the actions of Mother Nature, but we voted against it.

This is how it looks now. Please ignore my large pile of unread mail and my Blunderbread.

Oh yeah, that Nissan wasn't mine. It belonged to the guy across the street.

Last edited by Grizzly; 03-22-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #19
boggtown

Lol, I thought you were kidding. I thought it was one of those, we turned this

INTO THIS
Old 03-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
Lol, I thought you were kidding. I thought it was one of those, we turned this INTO THIS
I wish I was kidding, dude...I wish...