Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2007, 08:40 AM   #1

Windows clip top when door is opened quickly.

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if on your Boxster's the windows clip the cars top when you quickly open your doors? Mine does this and I am wondering if my windows are out of adjustment or that's normal for the Boxster. I noticed in the service manual that there are quite a few window adjustments. Also the tops of my windows are making sqeeking noises on my door seal when I am on bumpy roads and wondered if this was also from misadjusted windows. Thanks guys!

2001 Boxter - stock - owned 1 year.

KeithJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #2

You need to have a friend sit inside the car as you watch the windows go up with the top up. If the front or the back rises faster than the other end, you have a regulator going out. If the front and rear parts of the glass go up at the same time, you may need to simply do a reset on the windows, which has been discussed on the forum but I can't remember where! Do a search.

There is a microswitch in each door handle to drop the window a quarter of an inch and while many think these switches are going out, it's often the regulator. Because our cars are convertibles, we raise and lower the windows a lot more than say, a 996 or Cayman.

My windows do seem to clip the top when I shut the door fast, but it's not bad enough for me to worry about.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #3

Mine does this and it seems perfectly normal to me. When you first pull the door handle the window drops slightly to clear the track. By opening quickly, you aren't giving the mechanism a chance to complete and the window drags as you open the door.

I don't think this is an indication of a problem with the car...just your technique.

If, however, the window clips after it has dropped all the way, then that would be an indication of a problem.
DevGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:50 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Mine always does this too, if i open the doors too quickly, the window clips the top also. I wonder if its cause that black honey comb looking thing in the assembly just alittle worn... and has play so as the window motor responds on time, the window itself responds alittle later due to play in the honeycomb-like peice.

I remember a forum member having issue with his window not droping at all and he sourced the issue down to the honeycomb-like peice being worn and having lots of play.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote