Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 06:16 PM   #1

Opinions are like...but I still want them

here we go guys...just a couple opinions/thoughts on what you think of some mods I am considering...

inspiration from bmussati, the kraker man, and dr burton have me too close to pulling the trigger on the 19 inch carrera classics....

1) OEM vs Wheel Dynamics - difference is cost...are replicas that big of a deal or is it just being a fool about saying these are original porsche equipment.....so what do you think, original vs wheel dynamics?? any drawbacks to consider

2) They offer them in Chrome, I'm thinking no....but any thoughts

3) Painted side vents, I am really thinking about converting to the cayman vents, any drawbacks, I think it might just give my boxster a slightly different look to it

super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:27 PM   #2

You asked... Here's my opinion:

1) I'd save the money, and go with Wheel Dynamics. As far as I know - you can't tell the difference. But I know nothing as to any differences/drawbacks between the two.

2) Personally, I would not go with Chrome. Nothing against chrome wheels - I'm just not a shinny "bling bling" kind of fella.

3) I like the contrast black side vents give. I think that it helps balance a car out, and looks sharp. So personally, I'd say no on the painted vents.

- C
Old 03-15-2007, 06:34 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
man get some other nice wheels, something w a big lip.
in my opinion, these wheels are overplayed, but then again i never really liked them.
go w some HRE or something of that nature...
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
bmussatti

1) What about the weight difference (unsprung weight). That would be my only thought.

2) I don't like chrome on the Boxster. We don't have any chrome...except my exhaust tip...looks great

3) I love the painted side vents. The Cayman vent is OK, but not really necessary.

If you want to see my painted side vents in person, just send me a PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:44 PM   #5

I think the 19" Carrera Classics are great looking. If I had it to do over, I'd buy a set.

When we got our car it had a set of chrome 18" wheels on it that I immediately removed. They looked a little out of place with no other chrome on the car. Having said that, I'd go with the silver finish.

I like the painted vents.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:01 PM   #6
boggtown

Well, what color are you gonna paint the vents? lol, Maybe add some color in there, how about a deep midnight blue?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:06 PM   #7

Yes, to the Carrera Classics. I'm a bit biased since I will be ordering tomorrow. From everything I have heard the replicas are pretty close to the specs of the Porsche wheels, maybe a slight bit heavier.

NO CHROME. I just don't think it would look right.

On a white car, I think if you went with white side vents it would look nice. Actually in that post from earlier in the week on white cars 'White Posse' I think there was a pic of a white boxster with 19" Carrera Classica and white side vents. Looks very nice.

Here it is:

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
Actually in that post from earlier in the week on white cars 'White Posse' I think there was a pic of a white boxster with 19" Carrera Classica and white side vents. Looks very nice.

Here it is:
Isn't that Bmuss' car?
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Isn't that Bmuss' car?
That's my baby! I am so proud of her!!
Old 03-15-2007, 07:52 PM   #10

I would not make the switch to the classics if owned your particular car.
I think your current wheels work really well with that color and the overall 987 style.
Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:11 PM   #11

A few thoughts...

1) I agree with Boxter that the 987 S rims and the similar looking Carrera S rims look better on the white 987s than the Classics, perhaps because they're more substantive against such a washed out background (and I actually dislike the CS rims despite having them). If anything I'd get the 19' Sport Design even though they look ridiculously painful to keep clean.

2) In case you hadn't checked, the difference in weights between your wheels and Classics are:

987 18" S: 21 - 11 and 22 - 14.
19" Carrera Classics: 23 - 10 and 26 - 8.

Not overwhelming, but not trivial either. If you remember a forum member named Smith12895, we used to kid him about his 987 base being slower than other 987s on account of his Carrera Classics.

3) If you haven't, you may want to comparison shop with Wheel Enhancements, in addition to Wheel Dynamics.

4) If you want to make a knock-out visual enhancement on the white Boxsters, I think getting your roll bars painted (if it can be done, and I don't see why not) would make a much greater impact than the vents and wouldn't be much more $.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:33 PM   #12

I say leave your wheels as is. 18's are the perfect size for the boxsters shape and size. Whatever you do stay away from chrome, it has no place on the boxster....especially a white one.

Last edited by Adam; 03-15-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
2) In case you hadn't checked, the difference in weights between your wheels and Classics are:

987 18" S: 21 - 11 and 22 - 14.
19" Carrera Classics: 23 - 10 and 26 - 8.

Not overwhelming, but not trivial either. If you remember a forum member named Smith12895, we used to kid him about his 987 base being slower than other 987s on account of his Carrera Classics.
SD you never disappoint....this is absolutely hysterical....I don't think I was around yet to remember this....

alright so it appears my feeling on not getting the chromes is pretty good....thanks to everyone so far....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5150
You asked... Here's my opinion:

1) I'd save the money, and go with Wheel Dynamics. As far as I know - you can't tell the difference. But I know nothing as to any differences/drawbacks between the two.

2) Personally, I would not go with Chrome. Nothing against chrome wheels - I'm just not a shinny "bling bling" kind of fella.

3) I like the contrast black side vents give. I think that it helps balance a car out, and looks sharp. So personally, I'd say no on the painted vents.

- C
100% agree
I was going for OEM but when I saw the cost, I almost flip plus Im really on the budget.
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:41 PM   #15

Unkle, just wondering what is a set of new original set of new carrera lights going for these days?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Unkle, just wondering what is a set of new original set of new carrera lights going for these days?
the one I saw at ebay cost over 2k and that just wheels and no tires and it says OEM..I thihk that's from LA Porsche Dismantler but not sure and I saw one from Wheel dynamics w/ tires for $1449. That's where I got mine
I can't find the one I saw the other day but here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FACTORY-ORIGINAL-19-PORSCHE-911-CARRERA-S-WHEELS-RIMS_W0QQitemZ120098435435QQcategoryZ43959QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

Last edited by unklekraker; 03-15-2007 at 09:58 PM.
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:56 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
IMHO I think the only wheels that should be on the 986 style are 17"s & 18"s,BUT the styling of the 987 sure looks well on either 18 or 19"s,either way you can't wrong in any size or style.DO NOT GET CHROME,IT'S A PORSCHE NOT A CADILLAC!
Old 03-16-2007, 04:52 AM   #18

Keep it with the 987 style until something comes out that really strikes you.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:48 AM   #19

I would go with the OEM Carrera wheels. You should try to find a set of new take off's at a dealer or from a used wheel dealer it could save you some money.
epiqshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:11 AM   #20

1) like the Carrera Classic, but like the Carrera Sport MUCH more

2) no bling bling please...

3) paint 'em white 987 or Cayman...

Jeff

jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote