986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Opinions are like...but I still want them (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/10080-opinions-like-but-i-still-want-them.html)

super66 03-15-2007 06:16 PM

Opinions are like...but I still want them

here we go guys...just a couple opinions/thoughts on what you think of some mods I am considering...

inspiration from bmussati, the kraker man, and dr burton have me too close to pulling the trigger on the 19 inch carrera classics....

1) OEM vs Wheel Dynamics - difference is cost...are replicas that big of a deal or is it just being a fool about saying these are original porsche equipment.....so what do you think, original vs wheel dynamics?? any drawbacks to consider

2) They offer them in Chrome, I'm thinking no....but any thoughts

3) Painted side vents, I am really thinking about converting to the cayman vents, any drawbacks, I think it might just give my boxster a slightly different look to it

C5150 03-15-2007 06:27 PM

You asked... Here's my opinion:

1) I'd save the money, and go with Wheel Dynamics. As far as I know - you can't tell the difference. But I know nothing as to any differences/drawbacks between the two.

2) Personally, I would not go with Chrome. Nothing against chrome wheels - I'm just not a shinny "bling bling" kind of fella.

3) I like the contrast black side vents give. I think that it helps balance a car out, and looks sharp. So personally, I'd say no on the painted vents.

- C

djomlas 03-15-2007 06:34 PM

man get some other nice wheels, something w a big lip.
in my opinion, these wheels are overplayed, but then again i never really liked them.
go w some HRE or something of that nature...

bmussatti 03-15-2007 06:42 PM

1) What about the weight difference (unsprung weight). That would be my only thought.

2) I don't like chrome on the Boxster. We don't have any chrome...except my exhaust tip...looks great

3) I love the painted side vents. The Cayman vent is OK, but not really necessary.

If you want to see my painted side vents in person, just send me a PM.

Grizzly 03-15-2007 06:44 PM

I think the 19" Carrera Classics are great looking. If I had it to do over, I'd buy a set.

When we got our car it had a set of chrome 18" wheels on it that I immediately removed. They looked a little out of place with no other chrome on the car. Having said that, I'd go with the silver finish.

I like the painted vents.

boggtown 03-15-2007 07:01 PM

Well, what color are you gonna paint the vents? lol, Maybe add some color in there, how about a deep midnight blue?

drburton 03-15-2007 07:06 PM

Yes, to the Carrera Classics. I'm a bit biased since I will be ordering tomorrow. From everything I have heard the replicas are pretty close to the specs of the Porsche wheels, maybe a slight bit heavier.

NO CHROME. I just don't think it would look right.

On a white car, I think if you went with white side vents it would look nice. Actually in that post from earlier in the week on white cars 'White Posse' I think there was a pic of a white boxster with 19" Carrera Classica and white side vents. Looks very nice.

Here it is:

Grizzly 03-15-2007 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drburton
Actually in that post from earlier in the week on white cars 'White Posse' I think there was a pic of a white boxster with 19" Carrera Classica and white side vents. Looks very nice.

Here it is:

Isn't that Bmuss' car?

bmussatti 03-15-2007 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly
Isn't that Bmuss' car?

That's my baby! I am so proud of her!! :D

Boxter 03-15-2007 07:52 PM

I would not make the switch to the classics if owned your particular car.
I think your current wheels work really well with that color and the overall 987 style.

SD987 03-15-2007 08:11 PM

A few thoughts...

1) I agree with Boxter that the 987 S rims and the similar looking Carrera S rims look better on the white 987s than the Classics, perhaps because they're more substantive against such a washed out background (and I actually dislike the CS rims despite having them). If anything I'd get the 19' Sport Design even though they look ridiculously painful to keep clean.

2) In case you hadn't checked, the difference in weights between your wheels and Classics are:

987 18" S: 21 - 11 and 22 - 14.
19" Carrera Classics: 23 - 10 and 26 - 8.

Not overwhelming, but not trivial either. If you remember a forum member named Smith12895, we used to kid him about his 987 base being slower than other 987s on account of his Carrera Classics. :D

3) If you haven't, you may want to comparison shop with Wheel Enhancements, in addition to Wheel Dynamics.

4) If you want to make a knock-out visual enhancement on the white Boxsters, I think getting your roll bars painted (if it can be done, and I don't see why not) would make a much greater impact than the vents and wouldn't be much more $.

Adam 03-15-2007 08:33 PM

I say leave your wheels as is. 18's are the perfect size for the boxsters shape and size. Whatever you do stay away from chrome, it has no place on the boxster....especially a white one.

super66 03-15-2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
2) In case you hadn't checked, the difference in weights between your wheels and Classics are:

987 18" S: 21 - 11 and 22 - 14.
19" Carrera Classics: 23 - 10 and 26 - 8.

Not overwhelming, but not trivial either. If you remember a forum member named Smith12895, we used to kid him about his 987 base being slower than other 987s on account of his Carrera Classics. :D

SD you never disappoint....this is absolutely hysterical....I don't think I was around yet to remember this....

alright so it appears my feeling on not getting the chromes is pretty good....thanks to everyone so far....

unklekraker 03-15-2007 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C5150
You asked... Here's my opinion:

1) I'd save the money, and go with Wheel Dynamics. As far as I know - you can't tell the difference. But I know nothing as to any differences/drawbacks between the two.

2) Personally, I would not go with Chrome. Nothing against chrome wheels - I'm just not a shinny "bling bling" kind of fella.

3) I like the contrast black side vents give. I think that it helps balance a car out, and looks sharp. So personally, I'd say no on the painted vents.

- C

100% agree
I was going for OEM but when I saw the cost, I almost flip :D plus Im really on the budget.

Adam 03-15-2007 09:41 PM

Unkle, just wondering what is a set of new original set of new carrera lights going for these days?

unklekraker 03-15-2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
Unkle, just wondering what is a set of new original set of new carrera lights going for these days?

the one I saw at ebay cost over 2k and that just wheels and no tires and it says OEM..I thihk that's from LA Porsche Dismantler but not sure and I saw one from Wheel dynamics w/ tires for $1449. That's where I got mine :D
I can't find the one I saw the other day but here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FACTORY-ORIGINAL-19-PORSCHE-911-CARRERA-S-WHEELS-RIMS_W0QQitemZ120098435435QQcategoryZ43959QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

blinkwatt 03-16-2007 12:56 AM

IMHO I think the only wheels that should be on the 986 style are 17"s & 18"s,BUT the styling of the 987 sure looks well on either 18 or 19"s,either way you can't wrong in any size or style.DO NOT GET CHROME,IT'S A PORSCHE NOT A CADILLAC!

JAAY 03-16-2007 04:52 AM

Keep it with the 987 style until something comes out that really strikes you.

epiqshawn 03-16-2007 05:48 AM

I would go with the OEM Carrera wheels. You should try to find a set of new take off's at a dealer or from a used wheel dealer it could save you some money.

jwilson95 03-16-2007 07:11 AM

1) like the Carrera Classic, but like the Carrera Sport MUCH more

2) no bling bling please...

3) paint 'em white 987 or Cayman...

Jeff