Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 07:36 AM   #1

Some one tried to break in last night!!!!!

HOLY *&^%. Just venting. Some crack head tried to knock in my door last night at 3am while we were sleeping. I wanted to go out side and beat em but my lady wouldn't let me. Cops took like 4 mins to get there and she was still here trying to get in. It was like a scene off COPS. It was a woman in her late 40's I'd say. She hit one of the cops in the face and they threw her down and literally dragged her by her hair into there car.. AHHHH... I live right up by the water in a pretty upscale town. You would never think this type of stuff happens. My question for anyone out there, who has a home security system and what are they. We are looking into them today. Pros and Cons of different companies.
Thanks J

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #2

Glad you're okay. I plan on changing the deadbolts in my house after reading and seeing stories on "lock popping". Apparently its easy to make a key for the majority of deadbolt locks, where all the thief has to do is insert the key, tap it a few times and the deadbolt unlocks!!!

There are a few deadbolts now that don't allow this.

Anyway be safe. They say that big dogs are as much of a deterrent as alarm systems.
porschegeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:45 AM   #3
fab

I have ADT for home security. You could spend a fortune on home security. Prices varies it all depends on which features you want. Plus monthly monitoring fees..if you decide to have it monitored
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
HOLY *&^%. Just venting. Some crack head tried to knock in my door last night at 3am while we were sleeping. My question for anyone out there, who has a home security system and what are they. We are looking into them today. Pros and Cons of different companies.
Thanks J
ANSWER: Smith & Wesson, Glock, Colt, German Shepard or barking dog alarm, and a very good lock on all doors.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:48 AM   #5

At this point price is not the issue.. I just want to feel somewhat safe when I sleep and that my better half is safer when I am not around. I looked at the adt site.. I think I am going to make appts. and see who I like the best.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:52 AM   #6

I have a .357 magnum. It is reliable and has great stopping power. The noise alone would probably cause the perp a change of underwear.

On the con side,,,,can't think of any. Unless you are not trained. I had 23 years worth of annual requalification.

Ruger SP101 is a good choice. Use round that aren't likely to penetrate the neighbors house. And a good secure storage area or lock if kids involved.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #7

Sorry to hear....at least no one was hurt!!

I have Slomin's and two dogs!! Dogs are a wonderful thing!!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:06 AM   #8

Was a thought also. I am 27, have no training and have never fired a gun. I do have alot of friends and guys that work for me that do have guns and go to the range and say that it is alot of fun. As for kids, none. I have 2 attack taco bell dogs. They are trained in humping each other..
Old 03-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I have what i call the Pin Ball Machine protection method... a Walther P22 LR, its a .22 caliber handgun. Very reliable, low recoil, highly accurate and pretty good looking to boot. I call it Pin Ball cause if one of these rounds makes it through the rib cage, it will likely bounce off another rib or the spine from the inside and change direction... Its like being shot once from the outside and then 2 or 3 more times from the inside.

Here's what she looks like, cost me only $360 after taxes and fees.
I have the 3.4 inch barrel version but upgrade to the 5inch cost about 90 bucks however the compensator is non-function but supplies you with more accurate shots as well as counter weight and more balanced feel.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:09 AM   #10

Dang, that little .22 is cute, almost looks like a grown up gun! My bedside piece is a .45 cal Springfield Armory TRP Operator with a Surefire X200 light on the rail. My wife always says I'll just sleep through anyone breaking in, but I think my Spider sense will wake me up...
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:14 AM   #11

Yeah, Suffolk County is notorious for crack-heads and other types of vagrants. I'm sure this couldn't have been an isolated incident and that buying yourself a gun is clearly the only way to protect yourself.

If you become engaged in a running shoot-out through the mean streets of Brookhaven, be sure to come back and post about it on the board, or have a surviving relative post about it. And don't forget to carry your gun in the Boxster like some of our other armed forum members. Always a good idea !

That's how we roll on the North Shore !!!

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
At this point price is not the issue.. I just want to feel somewhat safe when I sleep and that my better half is safer when I am not around. I looked at the adt site.. I think I am going to make appts. and see who I like the best.
I got an alarm a few years ago for the same reasons. A friend of mine (actually my boss) worked for an alarm company when he was a kid and told me to forget about the basic package (usually front and rear door, a few windows and 1 motion sensor) that alarm companies try to lure you in with. He recommended a sensor on every door and window, no motion sensor, and glass break sensors on any fixed windows. We also paid extra for our fire alarm to be hooked up through the house alarm. The only thing we didn't get that we might go back for is the remote FOB for arming/disarming the alarm. Instead of free or $99.00, it ended up costing ~$1,000 (IIRC) but it was worth it.

Also, when you buy the equipment, you can shop other companies for monitoring service. When the company we go with found out we were shopping around, they upgraded us to their "gold" service (includee insurance on the equipment - if anything breaks down, they will fix it for free) and knocked $7.00/month off of our bill.

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcutter
Dang, that little .22 is cute, almost looks like a grown up gun! My bedside piece is a .45 cal Springfield Armory TRP Operator with a Surefire X200 light on the rail. My wife always says I'll just sleep through anyone breaking in, but I think my Spider sense will wake me up...
OK, since we're revealing all, I've got a SIG SAUER 228, Glock 19 and 17, Beretta Px4 and many other types of rifles and shotguns. Trained to use them all. For me guns give me an extra sense of security. Not for other folks, I imagine.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #14

Jeff, you live in Michigan...we already assumed you had the minimum number (10) of semi and fully automatic weapons required by state law.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcutter
It is cute isnt it... Had to get something low caliber do that if the GF needed to fire it, she could without getting scared of the recoil. I was thinking of getting a Stainless Ruger p95 but 9mm is too scary for the gf to fire.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg

Last edited by CJ_Boxster; 03-15-2007 at 09:45 AM.
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:14 AM   #16

I recall reading a couple years ago about some terrorists throwing up a roadblock and trying to kidnap a member of the Colombian olympic marksmanship team. He took out his .22 target pistol and calmly dispatched them all. I guess caliber is much like horsepower...it isn't how much of it you have, it's how well you can use it. See, this thread does belong on the Box board.
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:15 AM   #17

some people put a sticker from an alarm company on their door and a sign in their front yeard. Insurance companies claim that, statistically, criminals decide against breaking into a house when crossing these visuals. They'd rather go with a simplest target (which makes sense)...So, that's the cheapest way to be safer. Getting the real thing is evidently better but buying these stickers/ signs on ebay for a few bucks cannot hurt if you don't have the money for an alarm...gotta be creative sometimes!
99 silver BMW 323i
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...rscheseule.jpg
vouvoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #18

Funny, I was just reading on another forum how British cops don't carry guns.

Z.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #19

CZ provides my home security:

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:10 AM   #20

CJ... Get a bigger gun.

A .22 is NOT a good option for self defense. It is probably THE least likely to stop a threat.

The best option (and this is my opinion, and opinions on this subject will widely vary) would be a decent 9mm autoloader. A Glock 19, Beretta 92F, CZ75B...

It is very VERY unlikely you'll ever need it... but it's like car insurance, and the .22 just won't cover you.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote