Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007, 09:47 AM   #1

Brake upgrade

since Im getting my new 18" Carrera lightweight wheels today or tomorrow, I want to upgrade my brake. But where do I start
-should i keep my old caliper, paint it and just buy a cross drilled rotor and a new set of pads?

unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:14 AM   #2

What about the brake system do you want to upgrade? These cars have brakes that are overbuilt from the factory.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #3

I guess what Im talking about is just the rotor, replace it with C/D and paint the caliper..you know, for the looks..like the one CJ has..
Finally bought new Rotors!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #4

yeah John V is right these brakes are benchmark quality. I drove my buddy's car this weekend (EOS) very peppy nice ride but the first thing that stuck out im my mind "this car needs Porsche braking ASAP" verrrry mushy... reminded me of my old daily driven Honda.

Red calipers will compliment the Carrera 5 spokes nicely. You can get the decals on Ebay. Stick with factory rotors until its time to change (60K miles?) and I guess replace your pads if they need to be...flush the brake lines once a year.
You have been spoiled in braking department!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:38 AM   #5

The cross-drilled rotors are a waste of money. I would rather have non-drilled rotors on my S, but that isn't an option. They go through pads faster, you have to clean the holes out at the track or they get clogged with brake dust, and they crack.

Paint those calipers, stick the Porsche decals on and call it a day!
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:41 AM   #6
boggtown

Dont get the decals off of ebay, it costs more. Go straight to the site because they dont charge shipping.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:32 AM   #7

THANKS GUYS
i guess the next question is, Is it easy to remove and paint the caliper? and what wesite should i go to get the Brembo or Porsche decals? i know DJ just did this recently
Old 03-13-2007, 11:35 AM   #8

Never mind..found it
New rotors and calipers painted today step by step
Old 03-13-2007, 11:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
The cross-drilled rotors are a waste of money. I would rather have non-drilled rotors on my S, but that isn't an option. They go through pads faster, you have to clean the holes out at the track or they get clogged with brake dust, and they crack.

Paint those calipers, stick the Porsche decals on and call it a day!
Hi,

+1, +1, +1, +1, +1 = Total Agreement...

Happy Motoring... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:27 PM   #10
boggtown

I'm thinking of getting some new rotors, and was going to get the cross drilled and slotted ones, but since you say all that stuff, would it be better to just get slotted? I know that you should use a "slotted" pad with regular rotors for the gas escape, and a "solid" pad with drilled rotors because you dont need the slot in the pads anymore, so what im asking is, are slotted rotors ok, as long as they arnt drilled?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
drilled + slotted = wear out pads fast
just slotted or just drilled = wear out faster than stock rotors, but slower than drilled and slotted together.

just get none, i also think its a waste, but it does look nice tho

(and then get those see trough wheels heheh)
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
I'm thinking of getting some new rotors, and was going to get the cross drilled and slotted ones, but since you say all that stuff, would it be better to just get slotted? I know that you should use a "slotted" pad with regular rotors for the gas escape, and a "solid" pad with drilled rotors because you dont need the slot in the pads anymore, so what im asking is, are slotted rotors ok, as long as they arnt drilled?
Hi,

Slotted rotors are to allow the plasma which forms between the rotor and the pad to vent away allowing better pad-to-rotor contact. But, on a Street Car, it's just a gimmick, you really need to be on the Brakes hard and often for this to be a real issue - a dedicated Track Car.

Cross-drilled Rotors are dual purpose - Cooling, but mostly to cut down unsprung weight.

On Street Cars, both of these really only serve the aesthetic.

Either will wear your pads more quickly. Another Caveat is that neither s/b turned (machined) as this can further compromize their integrity. Most shops simply won't do them for both liability purposes and because they can wrech the shop's equipment - kills the blade end. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote