Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
steering wheel + airbag light

i am thinking about getting a Momo Millenium wheel for my car, but my Q is would it throw a airbag light?
funny thing is that my light is aleady on, but would it make matters worse?
and also, since i never took my wheel off, are there a lot of connectors back there or whats the deal and how should they be handeled when installing a non-airbag steering wheel?
also, i know i will need an adapter as well (is there one available anywhere in locar auto stores?)
thx

this is the wheel in question, my friend has one on his M3 that i drove yesterday and i just love the feel of it

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
ehD

sorry i dont have an answer but i think thats a real sexy steering wheel. how much is it and where can i get it

i guess i should wait until someone answers if it it'll fit and not effect the air bag light first before considering it tho
ehD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #3

Your stock wheel comes off very easily, 2 screrws on the forward side of the wheel will release your air bag (disconnect battery first). Single wire to the air bag is simply pried off with a screw driver. Then loosen the single nut that holds the wheel onto the shaft. You may want to mark the shaft and wheel with marks to make sure you get the wheel back on straight if reinstalling. Without seeing the new wheel and adapter I can't offer any other help, sorry.

2000 non-S Guards RED
Mostly stock-so far...
rear speakers
3 spoke
K+N
Red bumperettes
Speedster humps
Planning:
some stinkin' cup holders
rebeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #4

Momo hub adaptor for Boxster
Porsche Boxster 97-04
Model #7004 column not threaded deep enough, requires a spacer for nut to tighten to.

http://www.shopmomo.com/7004.html

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc

Last edited by Marc Gelefsky; 03-05-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:31 PM   #5

Hi,

You need to be absolutely certain it will fit b4 purchasing it. There are connectors for the Horn and Airbag, so you also need to be sure the connectors are the same. The OEM Wheel uses an AirBag contact spring and the wheel is cut out to accept a couple fingers extending from it, this will most likely need to be retained.

The Airbag isn't something you want to approach casually. It can be very dangerous. It essentially uses a Pyrotechnic Charge (think Solid-Fuel Rocket motor) to inflate it. Be sure to disconnect the battery for at least 5 min. b4 disasssembling the wheel, to insure it doesn't deploy.

There are several issues however, adopting this wheel will eliminate the AirBag - the MOMO is not AirBag equipped. Also, because MOMO uses a collapsing Hub Adapter, it extends the wheel toward the driver by as much as 2", this might not be a comfortable thing. The Adapter uses an Accordian style cover which, IMHO, looks pretty cheesey and cheap in a Porsche. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
boggtown

While that wheel looks pretty good, I personally like the minimalist race wheels thats just a wheel and 2- 3 skinny spokes. But my second favorite is the chrome chain link wheel, with the ever important foot print gas pedal.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:23 PM   #7

thx Jim,
i will send an email to them asking some Qs.

but then again, i will take that accordian coer over the ugly ass wheel that i have in the car now hehe, if you know what i mean...
my buddy has the same wheel and cover in his m3, and it looks fine, doesnt look stock tho, but not honda ugly hehe

Old 03-14-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
ehD

any updates on this? i'm eyeing the momo raptor shift knob to go w/ this...
ehD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:21 PM   #9

no reply from them, send them an email, and if you get an answer either PM me or post up in here...

Old 03-14-2007, 10:31 PM   #10

I dont know about the MOMO wheel, but your airbag light may be on because of service or if the car was in a previous accident and repaired but the seatbelt buckle was not replaced, it could trigger the light.

986s sport design pkg, aerokit 1, litronics,deviating seat stitching, guards red seat belts, cf ebrake/shift knob,ssk, sport seats, hard top, full alpine system with 8" sub, mb quart speakers, Champion rg5, Eibach springs, sport exhaust, rear stess bars, custom ecu program, desnorkle intake, euro bumper, rear diffuser
ray986s is offline   Reply With Quote