Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2006, 05:01 AM   #1

FS: B&M shifter for 986

This was on my 2000 Boxster S for around 18,000 miles. I went back to stock. Everything is included (shifter, two bushings and two circlips) and in excellent condition. This is the real deal B&M shifter, not one of the eBay knockoffs.

Sold new for $260, I'm asking half that. $130 plus shipping or best offer. PayPal accepted, and I have references if you're concerned.

Thanks,

John V

John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:10 AM   #2

Sold.....!
Old 02-13-2007, 05:45 PM   #3

Why go back to stock?

Mind if I ask why you converted back to the stock shifter? What didn't you like about the B&M? I'm asking because I'd like to know what to expect before I might make a mistake and spend the time installing one in my 2001 S.
Thanks,
Carl
cs9314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
This was on my 2000 Boxster S for around 18,000 miles. I went back to stock. Everything is included (shifter, two bushings and two circlips) and in excellent condition.

Thanks,

John V
How did you go back to stock without reusing the B&M bushings supplied in the kit? I had to keep the B&M bushings in the car since the stock ones had to be broken during the install. Did you buy a completely new OEM shifter assembly and housing?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs9314
Mind if I ask why you converted back to the stock shifter? What didn't you like about the B&M? I'm asking because I'd like to know what to expect before I might make a mistake and spend the time installing one in my 2001 S.
Thanks,
Carl
Personally I thought the B+M made the car shift like complete crap. The throw is shorter, but it's much notchier and I found myself having to force the car into gear. Finding third gear was also super vague. How fast you shift is limited by the synchros anyway. The stock shifter's throws are a bit long, but it's still better than the B+M. The main reason I got rid of it is that I compete with this car and it's not legal in my competition class.

Adam, a buddy of mine has a lathe and he made me some bushings from Delrin that are essentially identical to the stock bushings. The previous owner installed the B+M in my car and he did the bushing-cut when he installed it but it's not actually necessary to destroy the stock bushings when you install a B+M.

If you want pics of the bushings we made, let me know.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
Adam, a buddy of mine has a lathe and he made me some bushings from Delrin that are essentially identical to the stock bushings. The previous owner installed the B+M in my car and he did the bushing-cut when he installed it but it's not actually necessary to destroy the stock bushings when you install a B+M.

If you want pics of the bushings we made, let me know.
Sure, I'd love to see them. Post them up or shoot me a PM if possible.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #7

I'll do my best to snap some pics tonight. They are hard to see how that they're installed. In the next few months I'll be taking the shifter out (AGAIN!) and I'll get closeups then.