Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2021, 05:23 PM   #1

WTB: Metropol Blue 3-spoke leather airbag 986/996

Help a brother out - looking for a Metropol Blue 3-spoke leather airbag 986/996.

I have vinyl, need leather.

Any leads greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rick

Old 09-28-2021, 03:52 PM   #2

Garage
What exactly is this Blue?

I tried Googling but every photo I find looks like a typical black 3 spoke. I have a leather 3 spoke I was planning on refurbishing the leather color on after it was cleaned up. It's in pretty good shape just looks used.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
What exactly is this Blue?

I tried Googling but every photo I find looks like a typical black 3 spoke. I have a leather 3 spoke I was planning on refurbishing the leather color on after it was cleaned up. It's in pretty good shape just looks used.
It's a very dark, navy blue. It almost looks black until you set it against black, then you see the blue.

I've gone deep down the rabbit hole on my '00 project and have decided to swap my vinyl interior to leather after my seats came back from the upholstery shop. They will now shame the rest of the car with their looks. I want to really upgrade the interior to top of the line 996 Turbo/GT3/whatever bits. Most are just take out the 986 piece and install the 996 piece. Plug and play. I found a nice leather dash from a '00 996 and leather 996 door cards. I found a NOS handbrake on Rennlist and a new 3-spoke wheel and (vinyl) airbag and shifter from Carnewal in Belgium. GT3 console delete, blah, blah. I can make the interior look every bit like a top of the line 996 car.

It was after I purchased the vinyl airbag I decided to swap to leather, and a new leather airbag from Porsche is about $3,200. Yeah. So now I'll see if I can find a good used one. I'll keep the vinyl bag in place until then. I may try to dye a black bag, but I think I'll be going the wrong way from black to Navy Blue.

This is one of those projects you can't explain to most people or they just look at you funny, and even most Boxster guys won't realize or appreciate the depth and detail. But I will. And that's what matters. I'm basically taking my favorite color combo (white/blue) and making the car how I would have liked to been able to order one 21 years ago. I think when I'm done with this one I'm going to find a white/Boxster Red car and build something similar, but different.

It's only money. And cheaper than a good therapist.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2021, 10:09 AM   #4

Garage
That's how I felt with my interior. Most people don't know what it was or that it pulled a 11k premium on purchase day. Unlucky for me most of that interior didn't make it. But my wheel is for sure a black after seeing your photo. I need to get new leather dye to restore it to looking new again.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:43 AM   #5

I'm on the same boat with my interior. Little by little finding special bits and pieces from dismantlers who can't tell them apart from the base models and building a special interior.

RedTele if I find a blue leather airbag would you be wiling to do a trade for your GT3 side skirts?
Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:30 AM   #6

I recently had my vinyl one redone in leather for $320 by DTC steering wheels. It was perfect match to OEM.
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlvr View Post
I recently had my vinyl one redone in leather for $320 by DTC steering wheels. It was perfect match to OEM.
Good info. I'll check them out. Probably my best solution - thanks!
Old 10-01-2021, 06:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi Cooper View Post
I'm on the same boat with my interior. Little by little finding special bits and pieces from dismantlers who can't tell them apart from the base models and building a special interior.

RedTele if I find a blue leather airbag would you be wiling to do a trade for your GT3 side skirts?
Dude - you crack me up. You want those sideskirts bad.

Somewhere in Florida there's an old guy driving a pristine white 996 cabriolet with a full leather Metropol blue interior - you just gotta find him. "Sorry sir, I hate to jack you up, but I need this airbag more than you do."

What all interior pieces/colors you looking for? Shoot me a PM - let's talk.

Rick