Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2021, 07:05 AM   #1

FS 996 cluster for 986 2002 to 2004

I just finished the 996 to boxster cluster upgrade. Along the way I have an extra 996 cluster for a manual transmission. It is all black 5 gauges with OBC activated. The cluster is coded for cruise control and is coded for the right fuel reading. The cluster is coded to indicate roof position. The cluster has green, blue and grey connectors and should fit a manual boxster 2002 to 2004. I can further code it with your VIN and any mileage you want. All you would need to do is install it, add a wire from the green connector pin 5 to a new sender replacing your oil pressure alarm, about $50. You would need to dremel your cluster cover for the two new gauges. If you have been hesitant to do this mod because of the minefield in acquiring a suitable 996 cluster, this will help you with that. I will take $300 for this cluster. If interested or if you have any questions PM me

obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:05 PM   #2

Interested..could you send pic's..Thanks Frank
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:08 PM   #3

Also interested, behind Frank.
Boxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:54 PM   #4

Garage
Please let me know.
Cheers!
My Beast 2004 Boxster SE #0174
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.
Muskoka Minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:34 AM   #5

It is still available.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:07 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
It is still available.
I pm'd you..
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:24 PM   #7

Hang on, Muskoka, there’s a line... 😬
Old 02-08-2021, 02:27 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtar View Post
Hang on, Muskoka, there’s a line... 😬
Sorry

When he said it was availably I assumed everyone passed.....

Cheers!
Old 02-08-2021, 02:28 PM   #9

No worries! OBThomas, would you please check your pm’s?
Thanks,
Andrew.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:42 PM   #10

Okay I believe the item is sold waiting payment. Good luck everyone and thanks for the interest
Old 02-09-2021, 03:36 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Okay I believe the item is sold waiting payment. Good luck everyone and thanks for the interest
Congrats....

Would you be will to to program/modify mine? (once I find one)
If so what would you charge?

Bart
Old 02-10-2021, 01:38 PM   #12

Bart, I'll be more than glad to help you any way I can. But you need to do the coding because if I were to do it I have no way to check my work except to tear my boxer apart and put your cluster in my Boxster to see if it works. I did that once for the cluster I just sold but I don't want to do it again. So get your cluster ask advice if you needed I can supply you with the. Bin file for the proper coding and
Provide advice.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:18 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Bart, I'll be more than glad to help you any way I can. But you need to do the coding because if I were to do it I have no way to check my work except to tear my boxer apart and put your cluster in my Boxster to see if it works. I did that once for the cluster I just sold but I don't want to do it again. So get your cluster ask advice if you needed I can supply you with the. Bin file for the proper coding and
Provide advice.
OK. Thanks and much appreciated.

I didn't realize it was such a complicated process.

Cheers!
Old 02-15-2021, 10:16 AM   #14

Out of curiosity, what do you use to code it? I didn't code anything when I switched to 996 gauges in my 2.7 car (I do wish the mileage matched but everything else is great) and I'm looking for another one for my '04 SE. This one I definitely want to match up mileage and everything on and I have no idea what I need to get one programmed up correctly!
Thanks!
Lugnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
Out of curiosity, what do you use to code it? I didn't code anything when I switched to 996 gauges in my 2.7 car (I do wish the mileage matched but everything else is great) and I'm looking for another one for my '04 SE. This one I definitely want to match up mileage and everything on and I have no idea what I need to get one programmed up correctly!
Thanks!
The 2001-2004 986/996 clusters with the green, blue, grey, connectors seem to all be the same except for coding. I have a .BAT file that already has the roof light coded and the correct gas tank algorithm. My Durametric is capable of turning the OBC and cruise control on or off.

I have an inexpensive eeprom read/write unit that connects to my laptop. The VIN # is recognizable and not hard to re-flash with this equipment.

Last I use a Xtool 100 pro2 and it makes short work of the mileage.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions let me know
Old 02-18-2021, 09:44 AM   #16
inveniam viam aut faciam

I do believe there are differences in the firmware between the '01-'02 and '03+ 996 (and 986 for that matter) clusters, but I don't know what exactly they are. I have the tools to program the micro controller, but I haven't played with that part yet.

I have an '02 cluster in my '03, and one difference is that the '03 with MOST optical bus for the audio system uses the cluster to compare to the headunit for security. You do need to program the cluster for the headunit or you will end up having a locked up radio at some point, maybe eve immediately. BTDT.

I have gone through and read a bunch of various (turbo, Carrera 2, Carrera 4, Carrera 4s, Cabs, etc.) 996 clusters (I have the ability to read and write the EEPROM through the OBD2 port) and found you can do some weird things on these clusters, like enabling the boost pressure display from the 996 Turbo on a 986 cluster that has the dot matrix display. Not really useful, but kinda cool.. I have started to make a memory map of the different functions, but like everything, there is only so much time I can spend playing with stuff...
Old 02-19-2021, 07:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus View Post
I do believe there are differences in the firmware between the '01-'02 and '03+ 996 (and 986 for that matter) clusters, but I don't know what exactly they are. I have the tools to program the micro controller, but I haven't played with that part yet.

I have an '02 cluster in my '03, and one difference is that the '03 with MOST optical bus for the audio system uses the cluster to compare to the headunit for security. You do need to program the cluster for the headunit or you will end up having a locked up radio at some point, maybe eve immediately. BTDT.

I have gone through and read a bunch of various (turbo, Carrera 2, Carrera 4, Carrera 4s, Cabs, etc.) 996 clusters (I have the ability to read and write the EEPROM through the OBD2 port) and found you can do some weird things on these clusters, like enabling the boost pressure display from the 996 Turbo on a 986 cluster that has the dot matrix display. Not really useful, but kinda cool.. I have started to make a memory map of the different functions, but like everything, there is only so much time I can spend playing with stuff...
I would not argue with you, there may be firmware differences. My experience is most if not all of the differences are software. My 03 boxster has MOST but that dropped out long ago when I took out the OEM radio and amp and installed a standard double din. MOST doesn't even show up as a fault in my car. I do not have much of a memory map, it was more expedient to get a .bat of a cluster that was coded to what I wanted and re-flash my replacement cluster. About all I know is that mileage is recorded in offset 300 and again in 500. The VIN is in the first two lines. Some 90 (no ops) show up when going from the 4wd to 2wd 996 gas tanks. A memory map would be most useful and I hope you will share it with me when you get there.