Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 07:41 PM   #1

Full M030 kit (sways, shocks, springs) 3 years old trade for track setup

I installed an m030 kit from SunCoast two years ago (5,000 miles) and am interesting in trading it for a more track oriented setup. I love the suspension but I ran an HPDE last year and I'm hooked!

Stu

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
A day late and a penny short
I just put a M030 kit in 2 weeks ago before my track weekend

You may want to consider keeping it for a bit
Get a bunch of seat time and then upgrade the car
I can pretty much guarantee you are not driving to the capabilities of the car
and get a performance alignment

PSS9's are pretty popular for Boxsters BTW
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 02-07-2017 at 08:01 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:37 AM   #3

Garage
How much would you want if you sold them.
I may be interested..

Cheers
My Beast 2004 Boxster SE #0174
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.
Muskoka Minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:40 AM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka Minute View Post
How much would you want if you sold them.
I may be interested..

Cheers
If your car is a anniversary edition, it came with the M030 option IIRC
Old 02-08-2017, 05:47 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
If your car is a anniversary edition, it came with the M030 option IIRC
I Do have the anniversary.
When you say IIRC what are you referring to?

Thanks Bart
My Beast 2004 Boxster SE #0174
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.
Muskoka Minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:17 AM   #6

If you are just getting started with HPDE, then in my opinion I concur with JayG: the ROW M030 kit from Suncoast is plenty capable for you to get started with. I have been doing HPDE for a little over 3 years and have done the following progression:
  • A year or two on the worn out stock M030 suspension on my 2000 Boxster S. Was plenty capable but not "tight" and kind of wallowy at times. Adding GT3 LCA in the front helped get some more negative camber and helped with tearing up the edges of my front tires as I got faster.
  • Then a complete suspension overhaul, new control arms, new track arms, and a stiff coilover suspension (KSports). It just wasn't for me, probably because I was not far enough in my driving to fully appreciate/use the new suspension, and also I made some errors during my tinkering with the setup. The car felt tail happy (a desirable attribute for many advanced drivers) but it just wasn't right for me. I had this for much of the 2016 HPDE season.
  • I went back to the OEM M030 sport suspension in the fall, but replaced the struts with new Koni FSD struts. The car is much softer than the with the coilovers, but is still much more capable on track than what I am able to take advantage of.

I am going to keep my car in the original M030 suspension for a while, until I can consistently drive the car at its limits. Right now the car is much more capable than me Who knows, I may never get to that point. If I do then I will consider some setup changes.

Stu - what was the car doing at your first HPDE that you didn't like? One thing I noted that when I rode with instructors at first, their cars felt much more "solid" and "tight" than mine. Some of that was probably due to my worn out struts (100,000+ miles) but some also was my sloppy/floppy technique. Maybe some of that is what you're feeling?

If you really get into HPDE, my recommendation would be to get a seat with some shoulder support. That really made me feel connected to the car the first time I took a corner in my new race seats. A set of GT3 "alien eyes" seats might be a good mod for you and give you some of the feel, if that's what you are missing?

Last edited by steved0x; 02-08-2017 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Typos...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:32 AM   #7
On the slippery slope

Garage
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

Last edited by JayG; 02-08-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #8

Solid advice from StevedOx...I am on a similar progession...seats and harnesses are the best upgrade you can make right now...my $.02
Swiftmotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftmotoring View Post
Solid advice from StevedOx...I am on a similar progession...seats and harnesses are the best upgrade you can make right now...my $.02
I'll add to that, even without harnesses a race seat will hold you a lot better than the regular OEM seat.

Race seat + harnesses == fantastic! It took me a long time to unlearn clenching and bracing my legs for support and the death grip on the wheel to hold myself in place.

If you go with harnesses, I would add a HNR device (Hans, NecksGen, Schroth, etc) and also the BK roll bar extension - those harnesses hold you very upright in the seat and in the case of a rollover, you need that extra protection/headroom, and in an impact, the HNR device will keep your head from snapping forward.

I don't know if the airbag would deploy back enough to keep a person's head from snapping forward like in the below video, so it may not be as critical in a street car with an airbag... But dang...

https://youtu.be/g40YatgE_CE

Old 02-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
If you are just getting started with HPDE, then in my opinion I concur with JayG: the ROW M030 kit from Suncoast is plenty capable for you to get started with. I have been doing HPDE for a little over 3 years and have done the following progression:
  • A year or two on the worn out stock M030 suspension on my 2000 Boxster S. Was plenty capable but not "tight" and kind of wallowy at times. Adding GT3 LCA in the front helped get some more negative camber and helped with tearing up the edges of my front tires as I got faster.
  • Then a complete suspension overhaul, new control arms, new track arms, and a stiff coilover suspension (KSports). It just wasn't for me, probably because I was not far enough in my driving to fully appreciate/use the new suspension, and also I made some errors during my tinkering with the setup. The car felt tail happy (a desirable attribute for many advanced drivers) but it just wasn't right for me. I had this for much of the 2016 HPDE season.
  • I went back to the OEM M030 sport suspension in the fall, but replaced the struts with new Koni FSD struts. The car is much softer than the with the coilovers, but is still much more capable on track than what I am able to take advantage of.

I am going to keep my car in the original M030 suspension for a while, until I can consistently drive the car at its limits. Right now the car is much more capable than me Who knows, I may never get to that point. If I do then I will consider some setup changes.

Stu - what was the car doing at your first HPDE that you didn't like? One thing I noted that when I rode with instructors at first, their cars felt much more "solid" and "tight" than mine. Some of that was probably due to my worn out struts (100,000+ miles) but some also was my sloppy/floppy technique. Maybe some of that is what you're feeling?

If you really get into HPDE, my recommendation would be to get a seat with some shoulder support. That really made me feel connected to the car the first time I took a corner in my new race seats. A set of GT3 "alien eyes" seats might be a good mod for you and give you some of the feel, if that's what you are missing?

Thanks for the reply! I put in the gt3 seats and harness before the event. I can't say enough about the seats, they are by far the most comfortable seat I've been in, are extremely supportive and allow you to sit lower which helps us tall guys. I've also pulled a lot of weight, installed a GT3 away bar and am running some "take off" Toyos. As far as "what I don't like" I'm just trying to trim time. I'm currently consistently running 2:17s. The spec Boxster record (they rarely run there) is 2:16.5 so I'm getting close!
Old 02-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
Thanks for the reply! I put in the gt3 seats and harness before the event. I can't say enough about the seats, they are by far the most comfortable seat I've been in, are extremely supportive and allow you to sit lower which helps us tall guys. I've also pulled a lot of weight, installed a GT3 away bar and am running some "take off" Toyos. As far as "what I don't like" I'm just trying to trim time. I'm currently consistently running 2:17s. The spec Boxster record (they rarely run there) is 2:16.5 so I'm getting close!
Which track? I had misunderstood you to say that you were new to HPDE Sounds like you must be a natural At the tracks I run, I am a fair amount off the specbox record:

Roebling:
SPB record: 1:23.06
Me: 1:29.27

Sebring:
SPB Record: 2:29.324
Me: 2:50.x

Road Atlanta
SPB Record: 1:38.834
Me: 2:00.x (I am really slow there, I hope to redeem myself and get down closer)

I am leaving a lot of time everywhere

I got these times from here:
PCA Class Records

If you are within a second of the specbox record then it sounds (my opinion since I am not there yet with my driving so I don't really know) like you could probably benefit from a new suspension to shave off some more time. My recommendation is to go with a proven combination like PSS9 and Tarret swaybars and drop links (sounds like you have some of the bars already), or you could even step up the $$$ and get JRZ or one of the more advanced systems...

Do you have any video? Not to help with this thread, but because I like video
Old 02-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Which track? I had misunderstood you to say that you were new to HPDE Sounds like you must be a natural At the tracks I run, I am a fair amount off the specbox record:

Roebling:
SPB record: 1:23.06
Me: 1:29.27

Sebring:
SPB Record: 2:29.324
Me: 2:50.x

Road Atlanta
SPB Record: 1:38.834
Me: 2:00.x (I am really slow there, I hope to redeem myself and get down closer)

I am leaving a lot of time everywhere

I got these times from here:
PCA Class Records

If you are within a second of the specbox record then it sounds (my opinion since I am not there yet with my driving so I don't really know) like you could probably benefit from a new suspension to shave off some more time. My recommendation is to go with a proven combination like PSS9 and Tarret swaybars and drop links (sounds like you have some of the bars already), or you could even step up the $$$ and get JRZ or one of the more advanced systems...

Do you have any video? Not to help with this thread, but because I like video
Ya absolutely. I'll upload one tonight. I'm not sure about being a naturally, I just ran a lot of events at VIR packed into one summer

Big edit! NASA racing lists a very different record on their sight! I'm NO WHERE near those times, 6 whole Seconds off

Last edited by truegearhead; 02-09-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:36 PM   #13

Garage
Are you interested in selling the suspension outright?

indyfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote