986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/)
-   -   WTS Wahler Thermostat (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/63104-wts-wahler-thermostat.html)

CrisZenithBlue 09-10-2016 03:55 PM

WTS Wahler Thermostat

selling brand new unused Wahler Thermostat (OEM version not the low temp version) with gasket.

30$ plus shipping.

i ended up going with a low temp thermostat which.. umm.. didnt do anything. should have listened to Mr Pedro Bonilla.

JayG 09-10-2016 06:51 PM

What exactly did you expect it to do?

All a low temp thermostat does is open sooner. One the car is at operating temp, it is exactly the same as a regular thermostat

JFP in PA 09-10-2016 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue (Post 509698)
i ended up going with a low temp thermostat which.. umm.. didnt do anything. should have listened to Mr Pedro Bonilla.

Your dash temp display is well known for being both inaccurate and non linear, so I'm not at all surprised you have not seen much difference.

Assuming there is nothing organically wrong with your cooling system, if you check the car with a Porsche scan tool, or had an accurate gauge, you would see a substantial steady state temperature difference in both your coolant and oil operating temps with the 160F stat.

CrisZenithBlue 09-10-2016 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 509716)
Your dash temp display is well known for being both inaccurate and non linear, so I'm not at all surprised you have not seen much difference.

Assuming there is nothing organically wrong with your cooling system, if you check the car with a Porsche scan tool, or had an accurate gauge, you would see a substantial steady state temperature difference in both your coolant and oil operating temps with the 160F stat.

Good to know! And I happen to have a borrowed tool so I'll try it out!

Thanks!

Now does anyone want to buy it? :D

steved0x 09-12-2016 07:09 AM

You are in South FL so it is hot as $%^&* down there right now. Once you get to relatively cooler temperatures, maybe sub 90F, you should see a difference. I have the low temp stat, and if it is less than 90F outside the needle sits right on the line where before it was usually pointing straight up. Get above 90, and the temp creeps up and splits the difference between the line and straight up. Over 100, it goes higher. In stop and go traffic it goes higher, but once I get moving at highway speeds it goes right back.

CrisZenithBlue 01-04-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 509874)
You are in South FL so it is hot as $%^&* down there right now. Once you get to relatively cooler temperatures, maybe sub 90F, you should see a difference. I have the low temp stat, and if it is less than 90F outside the needle sits right on the line where before it was usually pointing straight up. Get above 90, and the temp creeps up and splits the difference between the line and straight up. Over 100, it goes higher. In stop and go traffic it goes higher, but once I get moving at highway speeds it goes right back.

2017 bump for the thermostat still available.

Steve after driving with the low temp thermostat through "winter" i can definitely see the car stays a bit cooler unless im stuck in traffic or whipping it.