Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2016, 09:25 PM   #1

Boxsternewbie needs stuff

Hello, don't know if I'm in the right place, maybe need help getting redirected to the proper page.
Just got myself a 2001 Boxster with 70,000 miles on it.
First ever Porsche, never been a real fan until recently, and can't believe I have missed out on so much in my life, absolutely amazing car.
Drove home about 300 miles in some of the worst rain I have experienced, and I'm from Scotland.
On the way home I started thinking I had made a mistake buying this car, it was ok, nothing real special, I thought my Chevy Volt was better, maybe the rain and freeway driving made me have these thoughts.
However, off the freeway and on to the twisties for 40 miles convinced me that I had made a great buy, totally different animal, even in the wet I was doing street bike speeds on the bends, amazing.
So, I'm convinced, I'm totally sold on the Porsche brand, I want another one already, or two or three.
I would like to make some changes to the car, don't like the fried egg front headlights, would like to change them out but on researching this, I am more confused on what to buy, I would swap out the side orange signals as well, kind of okay with the rear lights but would consider swapping them too.
Love the sound of the engine but also like music, the radio, basic Porsche setup, sucks, any ideas on making improvements there would be appreciated.
Wheel rims are okay but would also like to change them out eventually.
Any advice from out there would be great.
Best to all and looking forward to more driving.

Jimmybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:24 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Hello!
Where to start...hmmm...let me see...

We call this larger conglomerate of information "The Internet".
On this "Internet" there are many different places you can go called "websites".
These websites can vary in nature, but generally range from informative or educational to recreational. This particular website you're on is called the "986forum". It is a nice mix of what I mentioned previously. To subdivide these different types of things, the forum has been split into many different sections. The section you are in now is called a "classified" section and it is where our members buy and sell items from each other. There is a "general discussions" section where one can post general questions. We also have an "introduction" section for new members if they wish to make introductions, but this formality is not at all necessary.

If you hover your human interface device, more commonly known as a "mouse", over the blue wording below and press the left button, it will automatically redirect you to the "general discussion" section of this website.

General Discussions - 986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster Owners and Others

Welcome to the Internet and to the 986forum!

(Totally just messing with you, but it was fun )
Old 03-16-2016, 02:59 AM   #3

Garage
Welcome, we would love some pics of the car.

As for the lights it depends on if you want to for a modern or period look, same for the rims. Hope you find what you're looking for.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:13 AM   #4
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Particle, that made laugh out loud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:22 AM   #5
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Particle, that made laugh out loud!

Jimmy, welcome and congrats - you've come to the right place. Well, the wrong part of the right place

Do yourself a favor and tell your loved ones you are going to unavailable for a day or three, and begin your journey down the rabbit hole of all things 986 - this forum. Use the search feature. Explore and learn. Ask questions and as Jake says, post pics. It'll help your chances to get members (some more knowledgeable than others - I am in the other group) to offer advice and opinions.

Best of luck with the car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2016, 05:04 AM   #6

Garage
Jimmy, Congratulations! Welcome! Yes Porsche's are addictive, about 2 months after we bought our 99 my wife starts talking about buying a 911! Scour the internet for pics to see what others have done to their cars for ideas. Interchange of parts from other models/years can give your car a different look for minimal cost. Check out the DIY section but be prepared once you start you will never stop. Members on this site are terrific, I have contacted many for input, advice, and parts and all have been very helpful and forthcoming with information. I would recommend focusing on the routine maintenance first, that alone can be painful, air filter, plugs, oil change, coolant fans, water pump, serpentine belt, brakes, it all adds up. Make sure its in perfect working order before you modify. Just my experience.

And Particlewave. . .
Old 03-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
Welcome!

Hi Jimmy, and welcome to Porsche culture. Yes, you're in the right place, for a start, but there is a LOT more to enjoy about your car and we Porsche enthusiasts.
Next thing; go to www.pca.org and join the Porsche Club of America. The PCA is the best organized special-interest car club on this planet, and has the best publication in motorsports, Porsche Panorama. It is better edited and published than any of the general-interest publications such as Road & Track, Car and Driver, Autoweek, etc.
Then, subscribe to Excellence, the next-best publication in motorsports (some may disagree with my ranking).
Next, purchase Wayne Dempsey's excellent primer '101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster", and set up your account at Pelican Parts - Porsche Parts & BMW Parts & Mercedes Parts - Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche & BMW & Mercedes.
That'll get you started until you can meet your regional PCA'ers.
And remember: Porsche will get you through times of no sex better than sex will get you through times of no Porsche. Life is too short to drive a Chevy.
old911doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:39 PM   #8
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Doctor's orders!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2016, 05:35 AM   #9

Hello there, and welcome to a world of never ending fun.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:27 PM   #10
2002 Boxster S

Garage
To start answering your questions:

You can replace the headlights with OEM parts sourced from eBay or Amazon.com. Any 986 headlight will fit any other 986, according to the group wisdom. I recently replaced my yellowed/burned amber-turn-signal lights with 2003-4 lights (clear turn signals and corners); the pair was made by Magneti-Marelli and cost $479 on eBay. You can also find originals by Bosch.

I found a used set of 2003-4 986S wheels here on the forum and they are, to my eye, much more attractive than the stock "twist" wheels. You should check with user "itsnotanova" and see what he has in his parts yard. I've seen other owners who paint the twist wheels and they look pretty good, though. Another possibility.

I got the smoke side markers from a seller on Amazon.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:33 PM   #11

Boxsternewbie

Wow, what a welcome, thanks to all that responded, and thanks for all the info, apologies to all for posting on the wrong page, hope to get it right in the future, will try and post some pics, on my way home the other day, I dropped the car off at my Mechanic, only deals with European cars, and today I got a clean bill of health, he actually liked the car, I was expecting some bad news, the IMS bearing was upgraded in 2012, so that eased my mind, and the rest of the car is solid, he says there are a couple of little things we can discuss later, so can't be too bad. Hope to pick the car up tomorrow or beginning next week. Looking forward to more fun, can hardly wait.
Will start my Porsche journey tonight, best wishes to all.

Oops, tried loading a picture from my Apple iPad but needs to be a different file, maybe try another computer, ho hum
Old 03-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #12
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Looking forward to pictures!
The site isn't real friendly with mobile devices...I use photobucket and just embed the picture.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:18 PM   #13

ok I think I finally worked it out, hopefully some pictures attached, cheers !

Old 03-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #14
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmybee View Post
... I want another one already, or two or three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmybee View Post
... I would like to make some changes to the car, don't like the fried egg front headlights, would like to change them out but on researching this, I am more confused on what to buy, I would swap out the side orange signals as well, kind of okay with the rear lights but would consider swapping them too.
Love the sound of the engine but also like music, the radio,...

It seems that we agree on a few things.

notes: Headlights are from a 2000 996, side markers from ECS tuning, tails from an '03, 2-Din stereo from Amazon - install info from a few threads here on the Forum, and misc parts from Woody.

Welcome to the community.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:44 PM   #15

New goodies

Hi, thanks for the pics, your car looks awesome, love the wheels as well, what sizes fit best, can you use any Porsche wheels, are the wheel nut centers the same as the 911, maybe old questions but don't know yet, cheers

Tags
headlights boxster , radio , wheels