Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #1

FS: Child booster Seat & Deactivation Bar

Purchased from Porsche dealer in April of 2011; booster seat & deactivation bar for 2002 986. Excellent condition--never spilled on. $450 OBO. You arrange and pay for shipping. Requires Porsche dealer programming for install. Porsche of Albuquerque, NM programmed it for me.

Last edited by boxterdad; 07-15-2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Update
boxterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #2

Nice looking child seat. I have the same set up so the kids can ride. Glws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
walt2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
2002 Boxster S

Garage
I would snap this up, but my local Porsche dealer won't flip the ECU switch to activate it. Porsche of North America was sympathetic but absolutely no help, either.

Moral: call to be sure you can actually use it before you buy one of these. They built it but don't really support it. And congratulations if you can get it working.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxterdad View Post
Purchased from Porsche dealer in April of 2011; booster seat & deactivation bar for 2002 986. Excellent condition--never spilled on. $450 OBO. You arrange and pay for shipping. Requires Porsche dealer programming for install.
Which Porsche dealer programmed this booster seat for you?
3_Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:43 AM   #5

Garage
Disconnnect the airbag. Yes I know terrible things will happen.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #6

Garage
Also note there is an adapter you can get that allows you to use ANY child seat with the Boxster. It is an electronic switch that plugs into the plug under the car seat.
Requires the computer to be programmed as well, just to tell the car a child seat is there.
I know the dealer up here in Ottawa, Canada has no problem doing it.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crod View Post
Also note there is an adapter you can get that allows you to use ANY child seat with the Boxster. It is an electronic switch that plugs into the plug under the car seat.
Requires the computer to be programmed as well, just to tell the car a child seat is there.
I know the dealer up here in Ottawa, Canada has no problem doing it.

CR
crod, is this the device you are referring to?

Porsche Airbag de-activator (alternative to Bar and Child Seat) Boxster 911 | eBay
Old 07-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_Angels View Post
Yep.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Purchased from Porsche dealer in April of 2011; booster seat & deactivation bar for 2002 986. Excellent condition--never spilled on. $450 OBO. You arrange and pay for shipping. Requires Porsche dealer programming for install.
I bid on the UK device. If I win and can figure out how to hack the software sufficiently with my PIWIS toy, then Silver-S (local to me) can buy the bar and seat. We should know more in a week or so.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #10

Porsche of Albuquerque, NM will program & install seat & bar.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #11
2002 Boxster S

Garage
Quote:
Porsche of Albuquerque, NM will program & install seat & bar.
This is either old information, or very new information. I talked to them two or three months ago and they told me "no". That's when I called Porsche of North America and they told me "you're out of luck if your local dealer won't do it".

When did you talk to them about it?
Old 07-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #12

I just spoke with them last week to see if I needed to re-program the car for removal of the deactivation bar, although I didn't ask about installation. I'm not sure if I need to reprogram after removal--does anyone know?

I'll call tomorrow to confirm they will install...
Old 07-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #13
2002 Boxster S

Garage
According to the NHTSA site, you need to turn off the airbag override when you were no longer using the car seat. Since the seat itself triggers the override, I don't understand why this would be the case, but that's what they said. I'm sure turning overriding the airbag is a different matter than turning it back on, which I'm sure they will be glad to do. I'm interested to see what they tell you.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #14

Install

I purchased the booster seat & airbag de-activation device brand new from Porsche of Albuquerque in January of 2011 and they did the install; apparently the parts are no longer available from Porsche.

I contacted the service advisor on 7/24/14 and they stated: if you have all the parts required for the install, booster seat, de-activation device and 2-torx screws, 10x35, they will install it and reprogram the car.

I have ordered the torx screws for the install, so I will have all the parts for the install next week.

Last edited by boxterdad; 07-25-2014 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Install information
Old 08-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #15

Porsche OEM parts complete for install

I have all the Porsche OEM parts; Porsche of Albuquerque will do the install. Based upon original install it was about an hour for the deactivation bar & re-programming.

Last edited by boxterdad; 08-06-2014 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Update
Old 08-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #16

You will need to reprogram after removal of the bar. The car will notice that an item of safety equipment "installed" is not correctly hooked up and thus alert you with a warning light.
On the other hand, if you leave the bar in place, it merely senses that no child seat buckle is fastened and thus leaves the airbag "on."
The bar install is about 5 minutes to loosen the two rear-most seat bolts, remove the 2 forward seat bolts, and replace them with the longer version that accommodates adding the thickness of the child seat bar.
If you are buying the seat bar, make sure to get these high grade longer bolts and do NOT substitute low-grade steel bolts from your local hardware store.
The reprogramming takes less than 3 minutes with a PST2, so you can probably get it thrown in for free if you are paying for some other service.
Also note that in order to add the child seat bar, you will need to remove the trim covering the front of the seat rails. I modded mine to re-install around the bar, but normally you would just leave them off while the bar is installed.
The irony is, after all this effort, I researched and came to the conclusion that my kids were safer with the airbag on, once they were old enough to face forward.
BOL
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #17

To: SILVER-S

Still available and local! Let's make a deal.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #18

Sold--thanks silver s! Happy motoring w/ grandaughter!