Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #1

WTB: Silver Hardtop for 986

Hi everyone,

It has been a few months since I've been active on here. Sadly, my back window on the softop cracked this morning and I am looking into hardtop options as a replacement.

I am located in Connecticut and am looking for a silver hardtop semi-near me that would fit a '97 986. Does anyone happen to have one they are looking to part with?

Peter

peternvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:25 AM   #2

Try used evifenocut. A few weeks back when I was looking he had a silver hardtop that I ended up not going for. The price plus having to paint it did not make sense for me. I believe he is in California and is willing to ship.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #3

Thanks for the lead on this. I will definitely reach out and see if it is still available.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #4

Garage
Check out Craigslist. There are usually several in the NE, NY, NJ area. Prices are all over the place. I live in RI I had my plastic rear window replaced for $450.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
Check out Craigslist. There are usually several in the NE, NY, NJ area. Prices are all over the place. I live in RI I had my plastic rear window replaced for $450.
Thanks, mikesz. I haven't yet found anyone in my area that would do the window only replacement for that price point. I will definitely also keep an eye on craigslist to see what comes up.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #6

Garage
Not sure how ambitous/cheap/desperate you are but I found several members who have replaced their rear window themselves. I thought about it but decided against it. Lots of good DIY instructions. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
Not sure how ambitous/cheap/desperate you are but I found several members who have replaced their rear window themselves. I thought about it but decided against it. Lots of good DIY instructions. Good luck!
Definitely could be an option as I'm seeing that the average price for parts + labor for a new soft top coming in at around $1200-1500 depending on glass or vinyl.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #8

And don't forget Porsche has 2 shades of silver. Polar and arctic make sure you know what you have so you can match it otherwise it will look funny
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:45 AM   #9

Thanks for everyone's help. A fellow forum member was very helpful and sorted me out.