Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
2003 Boxster S

Garage
17" Porsche Boxster wheels and tires

I have a set of 17" Porsche Boxster wheels, not sure of the exact "type", but they are a slightly offset 5-star, purchased through Tire Rack, but I believe are an OEM, crest center caps and all-season tires with probably 70% tread on them. I have receipt, new total came in at around $1400, I'd be willing to part with them for much, much less. They'd make a great set of Winter wheels, I dont run mine much in the Winter, but it'd keep the chips off your "other" set. Far better tread for slicker conditions then what's on my 18" Carreras anyway. Recently balanced.

Anyone interested, let me know, I bet we can work something out.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 AM   #2
2002 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrew1 View Post
I have a set of 17" Porsche Boxster wheels, not sure of the exact "type", but they are a slightly offset 5-star, purchased through Tire Rack, but I believe are an OEM, crest center caps and all-season tires with probably 70% tread on them. I have receipt, new total came in at around $1400, I'd be willing to part with them for much, much less. They'd make a great set of Winter wheels, I dont run mine much in the Winter, but it'd keep the chips off your "other" set. Far better tread for slicker conditions then what's on my 18" Carreras anyway. Recently balanced.

Anyone interested, let me know, I bet we can work something out.
Could you post some pictures.
TerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #3
2003 Boxster S

Garage
pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
Could you post some pictures.
Sure, sorry, I should've done this from the get go.

They are pretty much like new inside and out (previous owner clearly took care of them as well and used them very little...like me!)

Here's a quick one - if anyone wants additional angles/shots/supermodels to pose with the rims, let me know. :-)

Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
2003 Boxster S

Garage
Through much Googling, found out they are referred to as "Cup" wheels, if that helps anyone.

Last edited by Mandrew1; 04-30-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Mandrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #5

wheels

What are the offsets on them??
Its an ET number that is stamped on the inside
magnusk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
2003 Boxster S

Garage
Some additional information:

Front - 205 50R17. ET 52
Back - 255 40R17. ET 47

Kumho Ecsta ASX All-Season
Old 05-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #7

Mandrew1--have you sold these yet? I live in DC and getting ready to get stationed in Germany. I'm looking for rims to put winter tires on for ease of exchange when I need to switch out. I've read German laws require winter tires.

Thanks
TimBoxster02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
2003 Boxster S

Garage
still for sale

Tim, they are still for sale.

A couple things - they have all-season tires on them (dont know if that would pass as "winter", as I suspect that true winter tires are aggresive snow/ice type tread) with probably a good 70-75% tread on them - I believe they have had maybe 1000 or so miles on them during their lifetime. Tons of tread, good traction, at least moreso than the summer tires by a mile.

Like the wheels, practically no use/wear whatsoever, as the car wasnt run in the winter, and as soon as spring hit, the summer Carrera wheels went back on.

Its interesting that these were the "upgrade" big-wheels on the 911 many moons ago...my how times change...
Old 05-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
2003 Boxster S

Garage
One quick thing - these are not OEM, unless Porsche farms out their wheel manufacturer process to Italy (says made in Italy on the inside) They look OEM, and appeared to be exact repros of the Cup Wheel.

The other "Cup" wheels I found on eBay all seem to be the same thing, and again, they came from Tire Rack if it legitamizes it somewhat (not some Chinese knock-off factory)
Old 05-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #10

Cup

will the et47 fit with out any spacers? what is the width on the wheels?

Yes those are probably after markets. Mille Miglia perhaps. I had a set of them on my targa
magnusk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:12 AM   #11
2003 Boxster S

Garage
They fit on my 2003 Boxster S without any issues - and I would imagine would fit on a plethora of other models that accept the same bolt pattern/staggered fitament.

I looked, and didnt readily see the sizes imprinted on the rims - I'm going to guess and say 17x7 front, 17x8 rear.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #12

do you have any pics of these on your car?
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #13
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusk9 View Post
Yes those are probably after markets. Mille Miglia perhaps. I had a set of them on my targa
Yep, I had a set just like them a while ago. They were popular on the 964. Good aftermarket wheels that are easy to clean and look decent. A good winter wheel set.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
2003 Boxster S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
do you have any pics of these on your car?
I actually do not have any pics from the Winter months...all my pics seem to be warm weather/top down stuff!

I can and will gladly take some additional pics if anyone is interested, insides and outsides of all 4 wheels. They really are in fantastic shape, but then again, they've seen almost no use.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
2003 Boxster S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Yep, I had a set just like them a while ago. They were popular on the 964. Good aftermarket wheels that are easy to clean and look decent. A good winter wheel set.
The interesting thing I found about them, other than, like you said, the ease of which they clean up, is how well they ride. We all forget as we add 18s, 19s, 20s how much more rubber there is on smaller diameter wheel set-ups.

I took maybe two rides this Winter, and both times it was a remarkable difference from the low profile tires on the 18" Carrera wheels I've got on it most of the year. Its an odd tradeoff.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #16
2003 Boxster S

Garage

Pics of all the wheels, inside and out, and one representative of the remaining tread. 7.5x17 front, 9x17 rear, fyi. You can see the only blemish is a small bit of "rash" on the one wheel, minor, but worth mentioning (I suspect from storage, not use, as it is not directional, possibly fell over)