Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #1

FS: key fob for 1997 boxster

Through my key fiasco, it turns out I bought thevwrong key fob. So.......

I have a key fob that is brand new with the 24 digit key code you need for programming it. I paid $75, which is less than half price. I just want to sell it for the same to get my money back.......

Any interest?

The dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dude
Through my key fiasco, it turns out I bought thevwrong key fob. So.......

I have a key fob that is brand new with the 24 digit key code you need for programming it. I paid $75, which is less than half price. I just want to sell it for the same to get my money back.......

Any interest?

I have a 97 and am interested. Details on how this works? Photos of Key FOB so I know its the same one I have? This code you mentioned, is this something I can program myself or still needs to be done by the dealer? Let me know as my FOB is cracked and I had to glue it until I could find a replacement. Thanks
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:12 AM   #3

Just so you know I have been looking at a few key FOB replacements and have not made up my mind if I want the 2 button stock FOB or a different style FOB. Price may help me determine my needs. Thanks
Old 09-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #4

The key is the OEM porsche key. 2 button (if I remember right). The part number comes up as a 1997 Boxster key, how I got that wrong when I have a 2002 is beyond me.

Anyway.... Key is brand new and it has a 24 digit code that only the dealer can program for your car. The blade of the key comes out of the key head and can be used in this new key. Dealers charge anywhere from $50-$125 from what I have seen to program a key. Kinda sucks, but that's how they do it. Every dealer sets their own price to program keys. The key fob is about $180 new at a dealer. I got it for $75 off eBay from another guy who was probably in my situation! I just want to sell for $75, which is what I paid.

Send me your email and I will send a pic of the key fob.
The dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Want to trade? I have a new 3 button key and I can program the keys. I'm in the Milwaukee area.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #6

D

Is the Key FOB still available? Mine is now on its last leg/button and I am really looking for a replacement. I currently have the 2 button FOB. Is it possible to just take my existing key/electronics out and place them in the new FOB you have and go with it or will it need to be reprogrammed? Thanks so much.