Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #1

Exclamation passenger airbag disable

I need the air bag disable for a 2002 boxster--booster seat, bolts, etc. right now! Please call 505-344-2689. THANKS!

boxterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #2

I asked the list how to remove the passenger airbag. I had some answers, but nobody seems to have done it with themselves.Working airbag modules are dangerous. If you live in a dry, staticy conditions, be especially careful, because the module can be deployed for a relatively small electrical pulse.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #3

Question Thanks, but...

this is a very poorly documented subject, apparently due to liability issues...I can buy some of the parts from the Porsche dealer, but not everything--can anyone help???
Old 08-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billthomas
Porsche Airbag Deactivation Kit.
Comes with the LATCH system, an easy-to-fit option provides mounting points between the seat and backrest, along with a key that deactivates passenger-side airbags (a requirement for fitting Porsche child seats into position).

Professional installation required at an authorized Porsche dealer.

http://www.eagleday.com/pochsase.html
That kit is for the early 987 (05 ?) models.

The original poster needs the airbag deactivation bar style kit below for his '02.

http://www.****************************************************.com/product/99680308302.html?Category_Code=986seat

Old 08-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #5

I just found out that I am going to be needing one of these myself.

For my '03 it looks like this is my best option...
http://www.****************************************************.com/product/PNA98601300.html?Category_Code=986seat

Note: To avoid risk of injury from a deploying airbag, never place a child age 12 or under in a front seating position without a dealer installed airbag deactivation device. Comes with deactivation unit that must be installed by an authorized Porsche Dealer.

Now the next question... will the Durametric software set up the computer for the deactivation bar or will I need a PSTII?
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarsha
I just found out that I am going to be needing one of these myself.

For my '03 it looks like this is my best option...
http://www.****************************************************.com/product/PNA98601300.html?Category_Code=986seat

Note: To avoid risk of injury from a deploying airbag, never place a child age 12 or under in a front seating position without a dealer installed airbag deactivation device. Comes with deactivation unit that must be installed by an authorized Porsche Dealer.

Now the next question... will the Durametric software set up the computer for the deactivation bar or will I need a PSTII?

If that seat comes with the deactivation bar as it says in the ad then it looks like a good deal (at least in Porsche $$). I'd give Suncoast a quick call before ordering just to confirm that that's the one for 986 models and that it does come with the deactivation bar.

I don't know if the Durametric will activate your car's computer to recognize the deactivation bar but the dealer should install it at no cost as I think they are able to charge the fee back to PCNA for this. Call your dealer to see if this is still the case (it was back in 03-04 when I had mine installed), and see if they will match Suncoast's price on the parts.

And congratulations on the new (or soon to be) arrival!
Old 12-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #7

I have one

Booster seat and deactivation bar I used in my 02 BoxS. Email for pics/pricing.
hanskestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #8

Exclamation Found the parts at Porsche

If anyone needs the parts, like myself, they can be ordered from Porsche: the parts needed are the airbag deactivation bar (code: 99680308302 about $230) and Porsche Plus Child seat, 33-80 lbs. (code: 00004480291 about $320); the parts will need to be installed and coded by authorized Porsche Dealership--thanks to Suncoast Porsche for providing the part numbers and information that I had been researching for months!!!

Last edited by boxterdad; 01-11-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #9

Garage
Durametric software does not include the load to deactivate the passenger side airbag. The dealership will charge $100 for this service.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
Durametric software does not include the load to deactivate the passenger side airbag. The dealership will charge $100 for this service.
$100?!?!?!? Is that from experience? All of the stories I have heard was that the dealer would do it for free because it is a safety thing. It would reflect very poorly on them if they try to charge you. I have the bar installed in my ’03 but have not turned it on in the computer yet. I have a few more months till I need to have it going.
$100?!?!? Hell, they only charged me $75 to turn on the OBC.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #11

Quote:
$100?!?!?!? Is that from experience? All of the stories I have heard was that the dealer would do it for free because it is a safety thing. It would reflect very poorly on them if they try to charge you. I have the bar installed in my ’03 but have not turned it on in the computer yet. I have a few more months till I need to have it going.

My dealer initially wanted to charge for the install and activation of the bar, but when I mentioned that PCNA had been reimbursing dealers for this work they waived the charge.

My invoice states that the work was done under warranty. Keep in mind this work was done back in 2003, so the policy may not be the same now, but it can’t to ask.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:52 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:

$75 sounds right for the OBC...I used my Durametric for free. I checked with my local Dealership and they want $100 and that's only if they install the bar. They will not accept the liability if it's installed incorrectly and they deactivate the bag.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #13

I finally had the airbag deactivation bar coded by the dealer today. This dealer isn't really known for their friendly customer service and they only charged $49.95. Not too bad.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #14

Airbag deactivation bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxterdad
I need the air bag disable for a 2002 boxster--booster seat, bolts, etc. right now! Please call 505-344-2689. THANKS!
Don't know if you are still looking for one.
My kids are grown....it is easy to install. (have to lay on belly for about 30').
Need proper torx wrench.

Let me know if you are interested....I'll save you some $$$. The one I have is from Porsche...not aftermarket which sell for $260.

Glen

Love my Boxster S!!!
skimd123@yahoo.com

Last edited by Skimd; 04-06-2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: add e-mailb
Skimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #15

Do you still have the bar?

My kids can't wait for a ride. Safety first.
bight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #16

Just went to the dealer and had them order and install the bar.... $520.00 with labor..... the seat was a extra 500.00 ....
wr5931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #17

Is this necessary?

My kids are all old enough to be forward facing now, and based on another thread on this site, I don't consider it beneficial to turn off the airbag anymore. But... if I wanted to, couldn't I just splice a labeled switch to short between the 2 wires under the passenger seat that the deactivation bar plugs into? In other words, does the forward buckle on the porsche child seats simply short across these wires when the buckle is inserted, or does it show the computer a certain specific resistance value that my switch would have to provide? Of course, the computer would still have to be programmed to recognize the signal. This would then have the advantage of allowing the use of any brand of car seat.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
My kids are all old enough to be forward facing now, and based on another thread on this site, I don't consider it beneficial to turn off the airbag anymore. But... if I wanted to, couldn't I just splice a labeled switch to short between the 2 wires under the passenger seat that the deactivation bar plugs into? In other words, does the forward buckle on the porsche child seats simply short across these wires when the buckle is inserted, or does it show the computer a certain specific resistance value that my switch would have to provide? Of course, the computer would still have to be programmed to recognize the signal. This would then have the advantage of allowing the use of any brand of car seat.
Sound very logical. Unfortunately I am not sure it will work. When I bolted the deactivation bar into place, I hooked it up all before I took it to the dealer to code it in the computer. With it hooked up and no buckle in place (normal airbag on mode) the airbag light was flashing when I turned the car on. It was almost saying that something is hooked up and it isn't supposed to be. I didn't ohm out the plug or see if maybe it is a normally closed switch. I guess it is possible but I wouldn't bet on it.

OK... I couldn't help myself. I just ran into the garage with a multimeter. Unbuckled, airbag on, it read 2.25k ohms. Buckled, airbag off, it read 255 ohms. So there you go.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
If you do a bit of searching there is a hack that someone made to simulate the factory 'bar' with just a switch - still needs the programming.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #20

Thumbs up thanks for the hackable data

Thanks 2003S and especially tamarsha. Should my family unexpectedly grow again, your info plus a trip to Radio Shack will help keep it safer.

BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote