Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #1

Interest in Durametric for 120$?

The cable is the same tech as the durametric, equivalent to the pro version with an unlimited number of cars that can be used with it.

It uses the software and drivers directly from the durametric site. Hence, it is functionally and physically equivalent. (http://www.durametric.com/downloadv5.aspx)

I have one myself and I am very happy with it. Works on Windows 7, vista and XP. Installation takes 2 minutes - no need to monkey around with drivers and ports and whatnot.

If there is interest I can buy in bulk and sell a durametric diagnostic type cable for 120 shipped.

Note that this cable will work with version 5 only.

mikstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:02 AM   #2

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikstew
"same tech as"
"equivalent to"
"functionally and physically equivalent"
"durametric diagnostic "type" cable"
so it's a fake? i bet Durametric would like to hear about it. expect to hear from them regarding your piracy...

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:38 AM   #3

At least he is saying up front that it is a copy. I bought one of these cables online and didn't find out it was a fake until it showed up and would only run version 3 of the software. There's a lengthy thread about the whole debacle around here somewhere - search "counterfeit durametric" if you want to read it.

I spoke to Duramteric about it (that's how I found out it was fake). They didn't really seem to care. These cables won't run the latest software and I'm told some of them have actually caused damage to the car's electronics. I was also told that if you try and run a newer version of the software then the cable will stop working entirely, but I didn't verify that.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #4

I think those thing here retails at $38.46 or RMB250.00

Works with Durametric ver3 and ver5 blah blah, and some other software I've heard, but very limited in terms of comm bus/interface engineering mate. I personally noticed that the cable was twice slower while communicating with the ecu compared to my local expert's piwis tester, the pc hangs 50% of the time, needs killing duramet.....exe from task manager, restarting the soft can take 2 min, turn key off/on/off/on, only if you are lucky you'll have a steady durametric session. Obviously a no go given the price of an new porsche ecu :/

If you do get this cable (not that I encourage counterfeit, I'm the most culprit), like my porsche expert friend here says... just use it to "read only" and do NOT use for clearing codes, starting fans, drive links ect... e.g. sending any currupted data to ecu

(my exp anyway... I only let my porsche guy here touching that thing from now on)

Last edited by madmods; 06-14-2011 at 06:53 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #5

For 38 bucks you got a good deal then.

This cable is great and I recommend it. The bogus claims about frying ECUs are just that - bogus. It uses software from the durametric website so why would the clone cable be any more likely to fry an ECU or crash a computer for that matter?

I suppose people who make such accusations do not understand the simplicity of what a OBDII cable consists of. A clone of such a simple device is easy to make. Hell, they can clone iphones. Furthermore, I would be surprised if durametric's actual cable was NOT made in china. I bet they litterally use the same electronics.

I have used this cable to read and write with no problems.

Further to this, I have used "Cheap chinese knockoff" BMW cables as well. Reading, writing, programming - no problems. Don't listen to doomsayers who say otherwise.

why the hell would you pay 600$ for a durametric cable when it litterally costs 5 to make, AND you can buy the functional equivalent for 38$ (apparently) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods
I think those thing here retails at $38.46 or RMB250.00

Works with Durametric ver3 and ver5 blah blah, and some other software I've heard, but very limited in terms of comm bus/interface engineering mate. I personally noticed that the cable was twice slower while communicating with the ecu compared to my local expert's piwis tester, the pc hangs 50% of the time, needs killing duramet.....exe from task manager, restarting the soft can take 2 min, turn key off/on/off/on, only if you are lucky you'll have a steady durametric session. Obviously a no go given the price of an new porsche ecu :/

If you do get this cable (not that I encourage counterfeit, I'm the most culprit), like my porsche expert friend here says... just use it to "read only" and do NOT use for clearing codes, starting fans, drive links ect... e.g. sending any currupted data to ecu

(my exp anyway... I only let my porsche guy here touching that thing from now on)
mikstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:58 PM   #6

Actually from the look of it I got screwed... my guy here now sells them for $21.53 (or RMB140.00) and claims he cracked the Durametric 6.0 to function with them (and this doesn't surprise me at all... you should see the other stuff they do!!!).

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=6683897721

The do work with V5.0 that is already confirmed. Everybody at the Porche club here in Shanghai got the same one and very happy with it (apparently). For my part, I just listen to my Indy guy, I'm not a pro at all and wouldn't want to fry anything. I just use it to read and if there is anything in there I'll drop the box at the indy for further investigation.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #7

$600???? fak man... is this really how much they sell them to people in the USA?