Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2004, 11:30 PM   #1

WTB : Litronic Modules and Hardtop

Am looking for a pair of Litronics. I don't require the control module.

As for the hardtop, speed yellow will be perfect but I can make do with any other color. I'll probably need to re-spray it anyway to mach the color on my car, even if it's already in speed yellow.

I live in Singapore so you will need to send it to me. I can pay via paypal or credit card or wire transfer.

Last edited by clubhead; 11-03-2004 at 11:32 PM.
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 05:46 PM   #2

clubhead, I used to live in your wonderful city-country!

Head to a hawker stall for me and eat some satay!

PS - You must be a rich, RICH person. Singapore boasts the most expensive price on cars on the planet, bar none!

May I ask what year your boxster is and how much you paid for it in US dollars, approximately? The rest of the forum members will be totally shocked and then feel very grateful we don't live in Singapore when considering the incredible cost of cars... let alone road taxes and insurance. So tell us about those too. We're all ears!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 12:52 AM   #3

Ha, ha. Yes, cars here are incredibly expensive, not to mention each is restricted to a max lifespan of 10 years Well, like they say, humans adapt to things and we're sort of used to it already.

Mine is a year 2000 Boxster S and I paid about US$110k for it a couple of days ago. A brand new model would set us back by about US$195k depending on the price of the entitlement certificate which I will explain below.

To own a car, one has to bid for a Certificate of Entitlement (COE). The price varies between US$12k (current price given the bad economy) to a max of US$60k when economy was good. Once you get a COE, this will enable you to own a car for 10 years. At the end of which, you will need to either export the car or scrap it.

Road tax for a 3.2l car is about US$1.8k per year. It can get as high as US$5k for a 5.5l car. Insurance is another killer. I'm paying about US$2.2k per year and that is with 50% discount for a straight 5 year of clean non-claim records.

For these reasons, most cars here are small capacity ones. Mostly 2l and below.

There are also tons of taxes levied to jack up the price of the car. Reason being it's a very small country and cars need to be limited in numbers to avoid congestion.

The cheapest car here is about US$38k for a KIA. A GT3 is about US$380k (my dream car) and a Modena is about US$510k. Yes, all can only be owned for 10 years.

Glad you liked the food here. The price and variety is a plus point compared to US I guess, or most parts of the world in my opinion. I'm not rich, just that my priority is in cars
Old 11-30-2004, 06:30 PM   #4

$110,000 Used 2000 Boxster S? Yikes!

Quote:
Originally posted by clubhead
Ha, ha. Yes, cars here [Singapore] are incredibly expensive, not to mention each is restricted to a max lifespan of 10 years Well, like they say, humans adapt to things and we're sort of used to it already.

Mine is a year 2000 Boxster S and I paid about US$110k for it a couple of days ago. A brand new model would set us back by about US$195k depending on the price of the entitlement certificate which I will explain below.

To own a car, one has to bid for a Certificate of Entitlement (COE). The price varies between US$12k (current price given the bad economy) to a max of US$60k when economy was good. Once you get a COE, this will enable you to own a car for 10 years. At the end of which, you will need to either export the car or scrap it.

The cheapest car here is about US$38k for a KIA. A GT3 is about US$380k (my dream car) and a Modena is about US$510k. Yes, all can only be owned for 10 years.

...I'm not rich, just that my priority is in cars
I had a feeling it would be outrageous to own a Porsche in Singapore, even a used one. Enjoy your $110,000 sports car every day of the next five years you can own it before you have to scrap it!
Old 12-09-2004, 10:48 AM   #5

clubhead,
is it easy to sell cars to Singapore from the U.S.? I mean if I buy cars at dealer auctions here in the USA and find sellers in Singapore I imagine I would be able to sell at a significant markup price?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:33 PM   #6

Perfectlap, I can't speak with great authority, but knowing what I know from living there, you would not make any money doing it. Importing cars there is quite difficult and they only people making money on the sale of cars is the government. The dealers are not raking in the profits... all the extra cash on top of the price of a car goes to the government straight away.

But, if you think you can make a buck doing it, knock yourself out researching it!
Old 12-09-2004, 06:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by Perfectlap
clubhead,
is it easy to sell cars to Singapore from the U.S.? I mean if I buy cars at dealer auctions here in the USA and find sellers in Singapore I imagine I would be able to sell at a significant markup price?
What Randall said is true. Most of the money goes to the government through heavy taxes. Couple of points to note :

1) Only RHD cars are allowed on the road
2) Only cars less than 3 years from date of manufacture can be registered for use on the road
3) The Customs tags a 'fair' price for the value of the vehicle which is normally the purchase price. This is known locally as the Open Market Value (OMV)
4) If the purchase price is deemed too low, the customs will jack up the value of the car to which they deemed is fair
5) Taxes are calculated based on this value (OMV)

The entire process is very transparent. For each vehicle on the road, you will know the OMV and hence, be a able to calculate the exact cost of the vehicle.

Because of the small market here, there is only 1 distributor for each brand of vehicle. Hence, in the past, the distributor were making huge profit per car. Then, wise guys like yourself (Known as parallel importers) came out with the idea of bringing or importing your own car into the country.

I personally did that myself. Managed to save a good US$30k for a car compared to what the dealers are asking.

But those days are over.... mostly. BMW however, are still commanding a huge premium with an M3 selling at easily US$50k margin or even more in some cases. The dynamics for that is too complicated so I won't go into it. Unfortunately, not the case for Porsche. Bringing a car in myself wil work out to be about the same amount as if I purchased from the dealer here.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:05 AM   #8

who says government workers are stupid...those rats think of everything.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:40 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Depending on just how high up on the priority list cars are, you might consider moving to another country and buying a used GT3 for close to what you paid for the Boxster. :-)

Then you can take us all for rides in it, heh heh.

And yes, Satay is most excellent.

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:18 PM   #10

Cubhead, I may be in Spore in November of next year doing some work in churches (that's my job) and I'd love to see your $110,000 boxster!

I will email you when I know the dates are firm so we can meet up and eat satay.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by RandallNeighbour
I will email you when I know the dates are firm so we can meet up and eat satay.
Sure...and I'll take the opportunity to show you the many other local cuisine as well

Let me know...