Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #21

Videos not good, you can barely hear the exhaust. I will go get a friend tomorrow and take some video before and after the install.

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #22

Me too

I just ordered a pair of test pipes from Dan at Stebro yesterday, so I'll probably be putting mine in next week and will report the results here too.

They are $300 a pair + shipping, compared to $495 for Fabspeed's polished test pipes.

I can do without the full polish to save $200, since you would have to crawl under the car to see them.

2000 Boxster S
Ferrari 550 Maranello
Subaru Outback DD
SeattleBoxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
With no O2 bung wholes for the sensors I hope you plan on keeping the cats at least in the headers on. Otherwise you will get your cells to come on and stay on. Or you can do vice versa, delete the ones on the headers and keep the ones on the secondary down pipes. Either way, you can only delete one set(pair) with out any problems but not bot sets(all four). Not to mention the problems you would have with passing emissions. The real question here is which set of cat deletes gives you more power, the ones located in the headers, or the secondary ones? Any one know? I would bet deleting the ones in the headers would be more to benefit from.
I have tried every combination several times for various reasons on my 2000 S which has O2 sensors before and just after the primary cat which is part of the header.

1) Just the Fabspeed bypass. A bit more throttle response, noticeable deepening of sound, and no chance of CEL. Sounded awesome with PSE.

2) Maxspeed headers w/bypass. VERY noticeable increase in throttle response. By far the single largest power mod. One CEL in about 1,500 miles of driving. 30 seconds to clear and never came on again. Headers have 2 O2 bungs so just reattached sensors. Sound was very disappointing. I thought it would roar but sounded ricey and tinny. Was told that cats reduce high frequency tones.

3) Headers w/oem secondary cats. Gains from headers still felt strong. No CEL yet. Sound is awesome. My vote for best combo.

I had the headers off for a while and really noticed a loss in power. Felt flat.

On these Stebro bypasses, they really do not compare with the quality of the Fabspeed pipes. If you were to look at the two side by side and look at what you are getting for your money, I think that the Fabspeed is a better value.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #24

YellowB.- any updates/videos yet?

I'm still waiting for my test pipes to arrive.

I've heard that Stebro's service can be S..L..O..W

Several phone messages and emails trying to determine if
my order has shipped and no response from them.

2000 Boxster S
Ferrari 550 Maranello
Subaru Outback DD
Old 02-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBoxers
YellowB.- any updates/videos yet?

I'm still waiting for my test pipes to arrive.

I've heard that Stebro's service can be S..L..O..W

Several phone messages and emails trying to determine if
my order has shipped and no response from them.
No video, and still haven't installed the test pipes. Can't find the right time or any time at all lately. I'm going out of town Friday but, hopefully next weekend I'll get video and my test pipes installed.

Stebro's shipping on my muffler was QUICK...shipping on the test pipes was not and I completely forgot they were coming. I got a call from my parents since I had them "shipped" there and they told me some shipping place had a package for me from Canada and I knew what it was then. I had to end up going and picking them up and never did get an answer as to why they weren't delivered. And Dan is awful about getting back to you via email. I still have his number, cell phone that is if you want to call him.

They're still an A+ company to deal with in my opinion. You won't be disappointed with the product.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #26

Dan at Sebro finally got back to me via email and sent me the tracking #.

The box has arrived in Seattle and the shipping company is delivering it today.

I'm hoping to install them this weekend! Maybe I'll do a video clip and post it.

2000 Boxster S
Ferrari 550 Maranello
Subaru Outback DD
Old 02-07-2008, 03:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBoxers
Dan at Sebro finally got back to me via email and sent me the tracking #.

The box has arrived in Seattle and the shipping company is delivering it today.

I'm hoping to install them this weekend! Maybe I'll do a video clip and post it.

Are yours going on with a stock muffler?

Only thing I've heard as far as the install is that you should probably go ahead and put on new hardware and gaskets while you're in there. I bought the gaskets and they were only $2.33 for both. Hardware wouldn't be any more than $10.

Post a video when you're done!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
Are yours going on with a stock muffler?

Only thing I've heard as far as the install is that you should probably go ahead and put on new hardware and gaskets while you're in there. I bought the gaskets and they were only $2.33 for both. Hardware wouldn't be any more than $10.

Post a video when you're done!
Yes, I'm using the bypass pipes with my stock S muffler. I'm hoping to make it sound a bit sportier, without having to replace the muffer with a PSE or an aftermarket one.

I already bought a pair of gaskets ($3) and I'll see if I can reuse the factory clamps or not.

2000 Boxster S
Ferrari 550 Maranello
Subaru Outback DD
Old 02-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #29

The factory clamps are pretty beefy. I've had mine apart at least half a dozen times with no issues. I've also reused the gasket between the header and the bypass with no issues.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #30

I just finished up installing the pipes. Yes - the factory clamp connectors are very beefy and there was no problems in reusing them.

The test pipes install was pretty simple, they fit perfectly, and I was able to get everything done in about 1-1/2 hours, taking my time.

Here's a photo of the secondary cats and the test pipes side by side.

It's pouring down rain here in Seattle, so I didn't take the car out for a drive. I just started it up with the garage door open and it does seem to be a bit sportier sounding. (It has a stock S muffler on it).

Hopefully it will clear up here tomorrow so I can see how it REALLY sounds at higher revs on the open road.

2000 Boxster S
Ferrari 550 Maranello
Subaru Outback DD

Last edited by SeattleBoxers; 02-08-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #31

Unfortunately, those are not mandrel bent. Also, as others have commented, that looks to be cheap aluminized steel- the same stuff you get from Midas. As much as we all know the FabSpeed stuff is expensive, it is well made, is stainless, and their bypass pipes are indeed mandrel bent.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote