Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2022, 08:51 AM   #1

Correct grill color.

The grills were oversprayed sometime prior to me, DPO!

200 Boxster S

Any thoughts on correct color?

David

Luckyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 04:54 PM   #2

Garage
Painting grills

I have a white ‘00 -S. The grills were silver but I didn’t think that the contrast between the white & silver was strong enough so I removed them, prepped them & painted them black. Road debris etc. caused some chipping quickly. I then purchased a can of spray rubber. I’ll apply it once the weather warms up. I also saw some things on Facebook where they made a screen mounted behind the grills to help to keep leaves etc. from getting stuck on the radiators and causing holes in the radiators. The suggestion was to buy gutter guards from Home Depot. I’m planning on painting mine red so as to add some flash. If they don’t look like what I’m expecting I will just paint them black with the rubberized black paint.
Welcome to Porsche ownership.

(631) 662 6998
jackschumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:39 PM   #3

Garage
I have a ‘00 “S”. I don’t know if it makes any difference. Mine was all original when I bought it and they were silver (gray?). They didn’t contrast enough with the body color, Biarritz White. I painted mine with a gloss black but it started to chip almost immediately. As soon as the weather warms up (I’m in NY), I plan on plasticizing it in black. Suggestion: clean out the drains. I think that there are five. If you don’t clear the leaves etc. out they will eventually eat through your very expensive radiators.
I’m planning on buying gutter guards from Home Depot and modifying them to provide additional protection.
The last thing that I have to say is to buy the book 101 projects for your Boxster. Covers everything from jacking it up properly to a full engine rebuild.
Best of luck with your first Porsche! Welcome to Boxster land.
cheers, Jack

(631) 662 6998
jackschumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:35 AM   #4

Thanks

I have two indicating silver, I think I will go with the wurth wheel paint as I have a couple of cans laying around.
Luckyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:48 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Not a big fan of those holes... so I purchased the gutter guards... installed them after I painted black the vents/holes/grills/whatever.

The black was an improvement but, as other have said... the paint starts to chip. Now... the silver guards look(ed) great behind the painted black. However, I wasn't going to remove the bumper cover everytime the black paint chipped. What I did was tape around the vents/holes/grills/whatever... paper it up to avoid overspray... and touched up the paint. NOT removing the bumper cover means that the shiny silver gutter guards now match the paint of the vents/holes/grills/whatever. All good.

I do a touch up every few months, or whenever the chipping gets out of hand.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #6

I lined the grills with black plastic mesh.looks good blocks leaves anf most debris..my car is burgundy- red

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

alansdavid is offline   Reply With Quote