Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2019, 04:33 AM   #1

Boxster paint hardness?

Will be beginning a full paint correction on my boxster, 1999 base, and wondering how hard or soft the clearcoat is on these? Hoping I can get by with a single stage product unless its very hard? If so can do a wool or cutting pad and compound then polish? I have a da and rotary, looking to see what others experiences have been??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:46 AM   #2

Oh, HD one has been my go to single step product if it will correct enough, great stuff, no powder and easy to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:26 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I spent a week (off hours) paint correcting my '99 986 two years ago. I decided because I still drive it regularly not to correct it to 100% because didn't want to take too much of the clear coat off, just remove swirls. I used a microfiber pad on a Griots DA, with Megiuar's D300 then Menzerna SF3500. I could have used this setup at full speed and more passes to get close to 100% but chose not too, I normally did 1-2 passes with average pressure on medium-high speed.

Depending on how much paint correction you want (ie - how much clear you want to take off), and how deep any scratches you want to remove are, if you use a more aggressive compound you will probably need to 2-step with a polish. If you just want to remove swirls like I did, you could probably get away with an all-in-one compound/polish. Start with the least aggressive product first and see what you think of the results, then decide you if need to use two products or just one.

I don't have a reference point on paint hardness, because I only started detailing after I got my 986, but if I had to guess based on all the stuff I have watched online, my 986 has medium to hard paint.