Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
100percent

Can you remove and re-glue Boxster trunk badge?

Boxster driving is fun.

Last edited by 100percent; 06-13-2020 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Hmmmmmm.

I don't know about glue. VERY THIN 3M double-sided tape might work... but those letters are very thin and narrow.

Maybe see what the lid looks like debadged. Mine was broken... went debadged... I liked it.

Wife didn't. So... purchased 2 of them. 1 remains in reserve.

If you look around you can find them inexpensive.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100percent View Post
Hi there,
My 2002 Boxster S trunk badge has dirt buildup around the letters. I'm thinking of removing it, cleaning the surface, and then re-gluing it. Can this be done? What I mean is - Is there a glue that can be used?
replace it or remove it, anything else would be exercise in frustration. dental floss pulls it off with a little work.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Hi there,
My 2002 Boxster S trunk badge has dirt buildup around the letters. I'm thinking of removing it, cleaning the surface, and then re-gluing it. Can this be done? What I mean is - Is there a glue that can be used?
Next time you wash the trunk, take a well used tooth brush and clean the dirt out from around the emblem using soapy water. The tooth brush will not leave marks.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:37 AM   #5
100percent

Boxster driving is fun.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:53 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Thank you, but I’m not willing to tooth brush the paint.
Really? You can pick up soft bristle toothbrushes at the $.99 store. You don't have to scrub it... just lubricate the emblem with some soapy water and approach it like an AOS replacement: slow and steady, with patience.

If you arrive at a method that is more efficient and less costly... please: share with the members.

Have a great day.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:59 AM   #7
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
I used a tooth brush....... with tooth paste!. It is mildly abrasive and actually helps lift off the grime between the letters. If you can use it on your teeth you can use it on your paint. This is a lot less abusive then removing the logo and gluing it back on. And it leaves the car minty fresh!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Too bad, it's one of the great tricks in fine auto detailing... along w/ toothpicks for that matter.

Good luck
Old 08-21-2019, 09:09 AM   #9

I used double sided tape when I did this last year, but the problem is getting something that will fit. As I recall, I found some just for this purpose at an auto parts store. You still have to cut it for the letters, but with patience it will work.

Dental floss works well to remove it. Again, patience.
daffodildeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #10

Is this thread about detailing a car, or dental hygiene??

On-topic though: I've considered taking my badge off to repaint it, but have wondered about an adhesive for putting it back on. I found a 3M product "3M 08061 Plastic and Emblem Adhesive Tube" and have been considering trying that.
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlebog View Post
Is this thread about detailing a car, or dental hygiene??

On-topic though: I've considered taking my badge off to repaint it, but have wondered about an adhesive for putting it back on. I found a 3M product "3M 08061 Plastic and Emblem Adhesive Tube" and have been considering trying that.
Both! If your car is beautifully detailed ain't nobody gonna wanna talk w ya about if you have stinky breath

As for your badge... stick w/ the 3M adhesive foam tape. Not gonna lie, it will be a little arduous prepping using an exacto knife cutting the foam tape out for each letter. However, when applying you only have to then worry about correct placement for centering and not crooked. Not placement and about squeezing out too much adhesive making it look like a kindergarten macaroni art project. Don't get me wrong, the 3M goop is great stuff but it's meant for larger plaque emblems or panel applications and not fine details like 'die-cut' badges.

Alternatively, you can also buy a new one pretty inexpensively w/ foam adhesive already attached. (HINT: if you want in any color other than silver, just buy silver and spray paint yourself - OFF car of course )

Silver - $24.95 Free S Upgrade Included LOL! - fleabay

Titanium - $29.99 fleabay

Black - $55 fleabay
Old 08-24-2019, 01:54 AM   #12
100percent

Boxster driving is fun.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:42 AM   #13

Garage
The tooth brush works great but don't waste money buying one separate. Just use yours. When the emblem is off, then you can use the tooth brush back in your mouth.
I have seen many pictures of Boxsters and the dirt that gets around the rear emblem starts to corrode the paint, sometimes to the point of rust. I use the tooth brush after waxing in those areas the rag can't get. Never scratched the paint that I can see.
I did have to apply the Tail of the 'B' back on using trim adhesive. Cleaning towels just love to catch the ends of the emblem. It's really hard to control how much to apply.

Last edited by kk2002s; 08-27-2019 at 09:45 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #14
WALDMEISTER

Garage
There is an option, which works surprisingly well:
3M-08069-Press-Place-Adhesive
around 30$