View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #15
FrayAdjacent

+1 for cosmoline. I have lots of experience with it.

It's a grease that's used as a preservative and protectant. Lots of automobile manufacturers use it for shipping their cars overseas, so the salty humid air doesn't cause any corrosion.

AFAIK, it shouldn't stain anything, but it can be a pain to remove. I'd suggest using heat, as it will melt fairly easy above 100 degrees. Use a mild degreaser after heat and a microfiber towel.

If you can't clean it up well, take it back to the dealer. If they can't clean it, they will likely have to give you another wheel.

Anyway, Cosmoline is used by militaries around the world when they store weapons long term. I (somewhat passively) collect old military rifles, and they usually come PACKED in cosmoline, so I have quite a bit of experience in cleaning it up. You could quite realistically pack a rifle in cosmo, wrap it in plastic, bury it in your back yard, and dig it up in 50 years, and the rifle would be perfectly fine.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote