View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Brucelee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
I've been thinking that after I pay off the Boxster, I will buy a more 'practical' and efficient car to use as a daily driver.

I actually used to have a Honda Insight, and it was a good little car. I averaged 55mpg, and got up to 68mpg on a couple road trips up to 72mpg. However, I moved to an apartment 2.1 miles away from work, and the poor little thing didn't have enough running time to regenerate itself.

Lately, I've seen a bit more about plug in hybrids, and serial hybrids. The Prius is supposed to be updated for the 09 model to be a plug in hybrid, and I believe it will have a certain range it can go on electric power alone. Also, the Chevrolet Volt concept looks interesting. It also looks like the way to go: An electric car with a small generator onboard to extend it's range.

Then today I stumbled upon this bad boy:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/country/ecf/newsID/2060724.006/mini/pml-builds-640hp-electric-mini

A BMW Mini (Cooper) that was converted to electric (serial hybrid). 160hp motors in each wheel.... up to 250 mile range on a charge, with a small generator on board to extend it's range and charge itself....

... and it does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds!!

The company that built it says the system would be adaptable to other vehicles relatively easily. I can imagine a Boxster set up that way! 640HP to the ground, all wheel drive, electronic traction control, and a good range!

What say you? If you could buy something like the Mini with that powertrain, and say, it cost $30k or so... would you buy something like that for a commuter car?

If it cost around $10k, would you convert a Boxster?

I think I would!!

I have been aware of this Mini for some time. I would buy one tomorrow.

My daily driver is an 07 honda civic coupe. Gets 40 MPG on highway and was cheap to buy. I like the car alot.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote