View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #16
porsche986spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pickering
Currently I am not using a short throw shifter on the car. As I sort the car, I'm looking into what is a weak link on each part of the car. I haven't heard much on the durability of the shifter mechanism and on the transaxle itself for a Boxster track car.

I've had them on my 914-6, and it actually made the shifting harder as the syncro's on the 901 gearbox couldn't keep up with speed of the shifts. On my 911 I had a stock shifter and didn't try a short shifter on the G50 box. For the Boxster, I've driven a short shifter street car and it was nice, but I'm not sure if it will cause the syncro's to wear faster given the speed of the shifts.

Have you heard anything concerning wear?

Thanks,

Bill P.
No, no problems from everyone I know that uses them for auto-x racing. The offer of our sponsor on this web site for the Schnell shifter seems to work well. Make sure you get the shift linkage too. The O.E.M. linkage have been known to break. They are just plastic. I preffer the B&M Shifter with the EVO shift linkage. It's basically the same except for a more notchy feeling between shifts. The Schnell is a little bit more smoother. It becomes a personal preferance after you try both of them. Hope this helps.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote