View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 12:20 PM   #13
Bill Pickering

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000SoCalBoxsterS
Very cool. How does that work? Do they use a video cam and GPS to track your car speed on the track and record it to video, or does the device tap into your car directly?
TrackVision and Traqmate are separate companies. TrackVision software will work with any data logger from what I understand (or at least all of the major ones). For video, I currently use a Sony Digital DCR-IP55 which I control with a LANC by my shifter to turn on and off. I also have a wide angle lens attached to it. I then download the digital video into an MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 format. TrackVision seems to have better resolution with MPEG-2, but it may be just me.

For the Traqmate data acquisition unit, it relies on the GPS to trace a track map and locate the car on the track. It is accurate to within 3 feet. The built in accelerometers calculate the g's. You don't need a timing beacon to find a start/finish line.

To receive a tach signal, you tap into the line going to the tach and hardwire it into the Traqmate unit. It's surprisingly easy to using a sandwich splice. I tapped the wire going in the OBD-II port (port number 9) that is under the dash by the driver's left leg. There are provisions for tapping into other signals such as water temp, oil temp, brake and throttle. I haven't done any of those yet. I'd like to hardwire in throttle and brake data, as right now the braking data is calculated off of the accelerometers. The data actually isn't too bad, but I'd like the data to show left foot braking while still showing the gas pedal being pushed down.

Thanks,

Bill P.

Barrick Pickering Racing
Bill Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote