View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #58
cfos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoentgen
I didn't say speed limits were stupid, you did. I said that speeding, in general is a fee fishing expedition. Everyone in NY is doing 80 on the highway, posted speed is 65, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Oh and speeding was the only crime in the NY trooper case, I've never been through police training and I know you don't try to run down an excellent motorcycle driver with a truck, that trooper is lucky he didn't wipe out a family of six. Lastly, I have family in federal law enforcement, local law enforcement and Sheriff dept. They all speed when they are not on duty, go figure...
Well, well, well *L* Obviously you weren't a "gunner" in medical school *LOL*

Here is my direct quote:

"Personally, I don't think speeding tickets and speed limits are stupid;..."

Where am I saying speed limits are stupid? Nowhere. I'm just including my opinion of them along with the opinion I hold for speeding tickets.

As for NY drivers, forgive me, I haven't lived in the Tri-state area since the late 90s and I sometimes forget how everyone there is so much more busy and important than the rest of Amerika. It is a shame about the officer that lost their life. Not being one (like you), I don't imagine I know what I'd do if I was faced with such a thing as a capricious youth on a cycle. I'd be concerned that he might cause an accident and HOPE that if I gave chase with sirens that the speeder would do the "right" thing, like our friend TriGem who may have only been mildly deceptive (?) when trying to exit. Obviously, we'll never know, but that is what I choose to believe.

Finally, just a point about arguments. You end with a fallacy that is generally referenced as "an appeal to authority". I mean, it's all well and good that you have family and know people in law enforcement, but seriously, just because they speed... that doesn't make it right or would you argue it does? Do you run the red light at 2 am because nobody else is up and the 4-way intersection is clear? I don't know.

Edit: Not sure about the murderer or rapist charges as we are currently looking at 2 cases of motorbike infractions nationwide. I do wonder though, do murderers and rapists drive their getaway cars more slowly? Or does that change the "chase mentality" making it more justified?

Last edited by cfos; 05-07-2007 at 02:17 PM.