View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #56
savowood

A lot of what will happen depends on what already happened.

Did you admit to speeding to the officer? What's here on this forum doesn't matter. What you said directly to the officer is what matters.

If you didn't admit to it to the officer, then you might actually get off. The officer stated he "got you on RADAR". Basically, he doesn't know what he got on his RADAR. It was something, but since he can't see the beam, he doesn't know what it was. He can make a reasonable guess, but since there were two vehicles in range, you might be able to get out of it. Tell the judge you weren't going the speed indicated. You were going faster, but you don't have to tell him that. It's that whole self-incrimination thing. You just need to provide a reasonable doubt that the RADAR displayed the speed YOU were going. If I remember your account correctly, you began slowing down and the BMW passed you. I'm guessing it passed you pretty quickly. Depending on timing, angles, field of view, etc., you stand a good chance of getting off. But, if you're not confident in your appearance and demeanor, you'll get crushed. Get an attorney to help you out. The money you spend on the attorney is going to be less than you'll spend on insurance over the next few years.

Now, go find a group that does track events and confine your high-speed endeavors to the track.

That being said, I should take my own advice. However, since I actually teach to many different law enforcement agencies around the area, I know many of the patrol officers and I usually get a "Oh, it's you!" followed shortly thereafter by a "Have a nice day." If I don't, I hopefully know someone who can help.

The biggest thing to remember is, don't admit to anything on the side of the road. The cop is going to write up the whole incident with decent accuracy right after you pull away. If you admitted to the incident, it'll be in the notes.

-Michael