View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 05:05 AM   #6
Cloudsurfer

Well.... I had thought that everything was all fine and dandy, except now I am slightly concerned about the fuel quantity indication. When I swapped clusters, I had 3/4 of a tank in according to the factory 986 cluster. When I woke the car back up with the 996 cluster, it read 3/4 of a tank, so I thought all was well, which it should be as a Carerra 2 and a Boxster are the same car from the firewall forward. However, last night I went out for a drive with a couple other cars, and was showing 1/4 (as you can see in the pictures from yesterday) and was planning to get fuel en route somewhere. Well, on a very twisty road while showing 1/8 of a tank, the car ran dry. No low fuel indicator, and showing 1/8 of a tank. Added one gallon from a portable to get it started and drove 5 miles to a station and added 16.2 more (I realize the pumps arent THAT accurate but you get my point). I had thought these cars held around 15 gallons, but my point is merely that it was EMPTY.

So, the real question is: is this going to be a problem from here out, or did the sender and cluster need to establish the high and low points in the tank and from here out will be accurate? If anyone can shed some light on this I would really appreciate it.

As to the question of doing this on an older car, Porsche has a "new" and an "old" cluster design (identified by the color of the plugs on the back) and as long as you match your cluster type to your car's vintage it should be fine.

I wanted to update mine to gain the oil pressure guage, as well as have the more "professional" looking design without the Boxster's "pretty" font. Also worth noting, the newer clusters use the dot matrix display which is nice.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote