View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 04:10 AM   #5
Chills

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Hi guys. I got your PMs and I'll respond to them in case you don't see this post.

Here's the story: I decided I wanted a in-dash nav system so I went to Tweeter to see how much it would be for one and to install it. I decided to buy the Pioneer AVIC-D3 and they had them on sale. So the saleman and the installer and I are talking and the installer has done a few custom jobs in Boxsters before and shows me pictures of his work. Pretty cool work, and he seems to know his stuff.

So the installer looks at my Box and says that the AVIC-D3 can't be hooked up to my factory amp and speakers. Something about incompatable parts. (crap) So I ask what my options are. For the next 2 hours he and the salesman went over what I can do and what it will cost. What we came up with was new door speakers, new sub in a box in the footwell, new dash speakers, and two amps in the bonnet. Total cost plus installation plus the Nav system was just over $3,300. That was about two grand more than I wanted to spend, so I told them I'd think about it. That's when I posted this thread, seeing if I could somehow offset the cost.

The next morning I went onto Crutchfield.com and hopped onto LiveChat. I asked if there was any way to get the AVIC-D3 into my Box using my factory stuff and the tech said, "sure." He loaded my shopping cart with the Nav unit, all of the harnesses I would need, and an iPod adapter. Crutchfield even threw in a $250 rear-view camera for free. They said they could also walk me through installation over the phone if I needed to.

My box from Crutchfield came in yesterday. I am a bit intimidated by all of the wires in there, but I think I can figure it out.

Sorry for rescinding the offer, but since I'm able to use my factory Bose system I'm going to keep it in the Box.

Thanks for the interest, though.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote