Thread: motor oil level
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 09:03 AM   #15
SD987

N4Ally2, I think JWilson provided the first and best response to your post...check your manual.

Some corrections to the other responses.

On your 987, the difference between the min and max marks on the segment display is 1.2 liters, with each segment corresponding to approximately .4 liter (which is 1.7 US Cups). Never add more engine oil than required to reach the maximum mark as noted in bold font on page 112 of your manual.

The factory fill on the car is 10.4 liters and the oil change quantity without filter is approximately 7.5 liters or 7.75 with filter. That being said, it will probably take more (obviously depending on how long and under what conditions that the engine is drained). On my previous 987 the dealer added 9+ liters. This dealer has little motivation to misstate the figure as a) I was watching them change the oil b) oil changes are free at Pioneer if you bought the car there.

It's pretty amusing that one would try to argue that a dipstick is a better way to assess oil levels than electrically. The level-ground condition obviously isn't a factor in a comparison and the engine off, oil drain/temp are accounted for more precisely using the electronic gauge in the 987. It won't allow a check if the engine is running and if you've ever tried performing an oil check after the car has been run awhile you'll see a mighty long wait time. That's the whole point of having the countdown feature which tells you how long you're going to be waiting to get an accurate reading. Obviously the nicest feature of the electronic gauge is that it actively monitors the oil levels, letting you know if it's low. I've never had a dipstick alert me to low oil levels.

N4Ally2, don't be surprised if your 06S is a heavy oil consumer. I don't know how many miles you have on yours but both my 987s consumed oil until about the 15k mark. Also keep an eye on the coolant. As I've posted elsewhere, the 987 can also be a coolant consumer during the first 15k and the low-coolant sensor doesn't seem to work so well.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 04-26-2007 at 09:15 AM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote