View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 04:17 AM   #6
z12358

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Sounds like Boiling Fluid to me. Someone traveling through the twisties with no Traffic isn't likely to encounter Heat Fade.

The SAE did a study of 1,000 two year old cars and found the average moisture content in the Brake Fluid at 4% with a high of 7%. At 4% moisture content, the Boiling Point of DOT4 Fluid will drop to about 240°-260° F - not much better than using straight water in the system...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Jim, thanks for the info. Moto, sorry to hijack the thread but I feel this is related. At my last brake fluid change, I requested Super Blue after reading how it's the standard track fluid (highest boiling point). However, the mechanic (The shop preps most track Porsches in the Limerock area) recommended Gold for street cars (with occasional track day). He said that Super Blue -- though more heat resistant -- is also more hydroscopic (?, meaning absorbs water easier) than Gold, and I'd have to change it more often than Gold (which, btw, has only 20 deg lower boiling point). Does, this make sense?

He also said that switching to Super Blue would have taken a few minutes longer, which I didn't quite understand why. Is it because they'd have to do a more thorough flush when switching to a different fluid? The price was the same for both fluids. I listened and went with Gold.

Z.