View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #8
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschedude
Bleeding brake fluid is quite easy. Buy one of those one-man bleeder system with a hand vacuum pump (try harborfrieght.com or sears). Instructions are all there but first suck out most of fluid from the reservoir/master cylinder (from the top), then fill up with new fluid. Afterwhich, remove one wheel at a time and follow instructions provided with the bleeder system....very easy.
Hi,

Using a Vacuum Bleeder can be more difficult and less effective than a Power Bleeder. I don't recommend them for Modern Cars.

Once you open the Bleed Valve, with the MityVac, you can draw air through the threads making it more difficult and risking introducing air into the system. And, it's less convenient, or a two-man job, as someone must monitor the fluid level in the Reservoir. Where the Power Bleeder can be filled with sufficient fluid to complete the job.

Also, on ABS equipped cars, you need a certain amount of pressure to force fluid past the ABS Valves (and in cars equipped with TC5.3 or PSM, you need a PST2 to actually activate these valves - you cannot DIY these cars). This pressure is usually 15-25 PSI (on an older Boxster I don't recommend going higher than 19 PSI so you don't risk damaging the seals in the Master Cylinder, though you'll still have enough pressure to force the fluid/air through).

The Power Bleeder is overall much easier and neater, and well worth the $25 higher price. I think this is important because the easier the task is, the more likely an owner will change their fluid on the recommended Service Interval of every 2 yrs...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote