View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 02:32 PM   #10
sloancarr

more confused than ever?

As helpful as all of the replies have been, I'm perhaps more confused than ever about what to do. Naturally, I LOVE the 987S, and that would be my first choice, but they are not within the existing budget. While I'm not in a big hurry (summer here is so warm / too warm), I'm not going to 'hold my breath' waiting for the 987S to go sub-$40k, because, as I mentioned, I am looking for a pampered, low-miles car, and I don't see a 987S fitting that description going sub $40k any time real soon. Realistically, I still see it as a choice between 986 S and a 'base' 987.

Let me try to ask it this way to add a new dynamic to the discussion - what were the most important / most appreciated improvements/changes in the 987 (other than exterior styling and power?) As suggested by unklekraker, the security of a warranty and having the new design are quite attractive - and it was also observed that there were many subtle refinements/upgrades incorporated in to the 987. On the other hand, being able to get an S with all of the 'goodies' keeps the 986 in the running .... the difficulty in these choices is why I posted here in the first place, knowing that this community of owners and enthusiasts would help me think this through armed with more information. To give a little bit more insight in to my current thinking, the appeal of the 986 S is not as much about the little bit of extra power / displacement (though that's certainly good) as it is knowing that I'd be getting a vehicle with more of the options that I would like to have. I am already a little bit concerned that if I tried to get a 987 in my price range that it would be too 'stripped down', and that I'd be frustrated by that.

P.S. As suggested by z12358 I did take a look at edwin's '04 S - beautiful, but: 1) red is not my first choice; 2) I'm assuming it's not TipTronic and; 3) I'm not yet ready to buy today (obvious, since I can't even decide which model/year I want yet) - I figure it will be at least another month before I've been able to clean up / fix up and sell the current ride.

P.P.S. - Thank you to all who are taking the time to help me with this - it is appreciated.

Last edited by sloancarr; 04-12-2007 at 02:41 PM.
sloancarr is offline   Reply With Quote