Thread: Boxster Killer?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2004, 11:10 AM   #13
Subanez

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
I wonder about that whole "The boxster would take sales from the 996/997" thing. I mean, they are different cars, even considering the cabrio version of the 996. Though essentially we all buy the cars for the driving pleasure, the 996 is more practical in some small aspects, while the Boxster is a true roadster, as they say. And if Porsche wants to keep up that stigma of having created the "true roadster," they need to back it up. Even if the Boxster had another 100 horsepower, I'm sure there would still be people that buy the 911 for the fact that its a 911, and there would be people that buy the Boxster for their own reasons.

There shouldn't have to be a market for upgrading the engines in the Boxster...its sad! Porsche is walking a very fine line when their SUV can accelerate faster than their claimed "true enthusiast roadster."

I guess we ought to look at the corporate mission, and see if we're blowing smoke, which I fear we are. I think the downfall of the Porsche marque might be the coupe version of the Boxster. Personally, I think that's going too far, and will truly make the boxster the "poor man's porsche" in the eyes of the public, and will make it the bastard son of the 997.

(don't worry, I love my boxster to death, I'm only providing fuel for discussion!!!)

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote