View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #16
mylamb

Wink

Kan-O-Z,

It is definitely funny reading these posts - everyone is right. We're going to recommend the generation that we purchased. LOL! So, my suggestion is the '03 S.

No one can really question that the 987 is superior aesthetically and dynamically, but I guess it just depends on why you're buying the car. 986's are by no means HOMELY, and the S versions deliver A LOT. If you can swing a 2005 987 S, then please do so, but if your price range puts you closer to the base model, then I don't think I would do it. Here are the 986 advantages that I see:

* Slightly more HP
* 30 lb/ft more torque
* Six gears instead of 5 (although you can get a 6 speed base 987 but they're rare.) Those first 2 gears are super short on the 986 S
* Carrera's brakes
* 3.2 liters vs. 2.7

I back2backed a 2002 S & a 2006 base in the same day. I test drove a 2002 S for 30 minutes & took it over to a Porsche dealership for a PPI. While I was waiting, they tried to put me into one of their cars instead, a 2006 base. Sorry, but aside from looks & better balance (once again, 986's aren't exactly Buick's in the handling arena) it was definitely lack luster. Those bullet points make for a better day to day driver, a more fun driver, and I would assume a better track car. I haven't tracked it yet - first event for me will be in May 07.

You should be able to grab a very good warranty on a 2003, especially if you get it from a Porsche dealership. If it's not CPO, then they'll probably try to offer you a warranty by a company called Easy Care (very good warranty & very familiar with RMS). IMHO I could not buy a Porsche that didn't feel quick & ballsy. The marque is special & their heritage is impressive but I need the whole package. I went with "seat-o-the-pants" feel over looks, build quality, and newness. But please, test drive them back 2 back if you can. It's your money! You may find that you don't really care about the performance difference, and the improved looks, balance & piece of mind (fewer RMS issues) of the 987 may win you over. Definitely nothing wrong with buying a car for these reasons. Either way... you will be getting a great car!
Arctic Silver /Black interior
Desnorkled then REsnorkled (planning on Revo flash & prob B&B Exhaust)
mylamb is offline   Reply With Quote