View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 04:24 AM   #12
limoncello

A lot of good advice here, not a lot I can add except: If you want to drive a DE, go for it by all means. You bought a Porsche, you like cars. You should experience what the car can do (in a controlled environment!), whether it's AX or a road course, and if your heart says road then do road.
I did 4 or 5 DE's with my Boxster and have done one in the RX8, and love the experience. I'm not a racer, don't have a license. I found the training and the driving experience to be what I was looking for.
Having said that, I'm starting to get curious about those cones...
Tires: You might consider trying your first day on your street tires - the first day's wear is usually not too bad. At worst you will pick up some road noise from the scruffed edges. It's not a bad idea to re-balance tires and re-align after a track day; some things can shift a little on the track. I ran one set of tire on the Box, the hum of the tires reminded me of the fun I had on the track. For the RX8 I picked up a set of used OEM wheels and got a set of track tires, since I'm officially hooked now.
Venue: I chose the local driving school, inexpensive and I could do one day at a time instead of the PCA weekend. PCA is certainly an option, as are other car clubs in an area that usually open slots for track days after they cover their members.
Good luck and have fun!
Cones, hmmm...
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote