View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
der Geist

I did my first DE last year and it was a really great experience for me. I went kind of last minute with a PCA group south of me. I highly recommend that you join the PCA. For the minimal membership fee you get loads of benefits mainly the track days. There are loads of socials, track days, autocrosses, etc. But-back to DE days-you only need a helmet and an inspection and here there is at least one indie shop that will do it for free. Of course they will try and sell you something I am sure but that goes with the turf. Perfectlap is right-leave those 19's at home. Pick up a set of 17's-the rubber is a lot cheaper. I had a great instructor who was very talkative and taught me quite a bit. I would have to disagree with people at this event being standoffish and I am as regular Joe as you can get. Most everyone I met was really friendly, helpful and loved to talk about Porsches. All you gotta do is say "Nice ride!" and the conversation will be on.

Here is a link of things to do and take with you to the track rom the PCA. It is quite useful (if not invaluable) on your first time out. I threw everything in a large storage container that fit perfectly in my front trunk.

http://www.pca.org/drivers_ed/tips.html

Don't cheap out on the helmet either. What is your head worth? I'm sure you don't have a hundred dollar head. Try and buy it locally to get a good fit.

Oh yeah-and make sure you change out that brake fluid before hitting the track!

Have a great time!

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote