View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
racer_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
I am randomly considering doing the high speed driving school that is offered locally through the PCA. I am a bit hesitant though.

I don't currently have any driving class or autocross/ track experience. The class is held at Braneird International Speedway which sounds very cool.

My understanding is you have to incur a number of expenses before you can even play, including:

- Helmet
- Fire Extinguiser mounted in car
- Car inspection and certification for track
- Actual cost of the School
- Supplemental Insurance
- any associated prep work or post work
- hotel to stay overnight at track (its several hours away)

Here are some of my questions and concerns:

- Would I shred my new PS2 tires in a day at the track
- What other wear and tear do I need to be concerned about (ie dings from debris, brake fluid etc..)
- What preparation do you have to do, and since I'm not mechanically inclined how much would this cost

At the moment, I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort and expense. I could probably only do maybe 2 track days per year. I know that some of the responses will be to start with an autocross, but I don't really have that much interest in autocross (driving through cones in 1st and 2nd gear). I'm not insulting autocross in any way but a road track just seems alot more fun.

Anyhow I'm open to comments.

On a side note, I'm sure some of you are thinking I am an idiot for selling my extra set of wheels now that I'm considering this. I actually agree. The track thing didn't even cross my mind until after the wheels were shipped. Oops.
Check with the region hosting the event. Many regions do NOT require first timers to have a fire extinguisher.

Helmet? Again, maybe the region has loaners. Dropping $350 for a helmet can be daunting if you are not sure you will enjoy this new hobby.

Most PCA regions hold a pre-event tech (free) or have reqion sponsors who will tech your car for free or a small fee.

Cost of school? well, not everything is free you know

Lodging? your call. Split a room with another entrant.. Bring a tent.. whatever works for you.

Supplemental Insurance? Well. check your owne policy for any exclusions before worrying about this. While not without occurance, simply drive within your skills and don't try to impress your instructor.

Prep work? Ideally nothing. Typically high performance brake pads and fluid are recommended. Stock pads, if new, should last through a 2 day event. Even stock brake fluid should be ok. Most regions require a brake fluid flush/change within 3-6 months of the event you are attending.

Would you shred your street tires? Possibly, but not likely. Maybe wear down the outside shoulders but not much more.

Hope this helps!
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote