View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
drburton

Driving School / Track Time

I am randomly considering doing the high speed driving school that is offered locally through the PCA. I am a bit hesitant though.

I don't currently have any driving class or autocross/ track experience. The class is held at Braneird International Speedway which sounds very cool.

My understanding is you have to incur a number of expenses before you can even play, including:

- Helmet
- Fire Extinguiser mounted in car
- Car inspection and certification for track
- Actual cost of the School
- Supplemental Insurance
- any associated prep work or post work
- hotel to stay overnight at track (its several hours away)

Here are some of my questions and concerns:

- Would I shred my new PS2 tires in a day at the track
- What other wear and tear do I need to be concerned about (ie dings from debris, brake fluid etc..)
- What preparation do you have to do, and since I'm not mechanically inclined how much would this cost

At the moment, I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort and expense. I could probably only do maybe 2 track days per year. I know that some of the responses will be to start with an autocross, but I don't really have that much interest in autocross (driving through cones in 1st and 2nd gear). I'm not insulting autocross in any way but a road track just seems alot more fun.

Anyhow I'm open to comments.

On a side note, I'm sure some of you are thinking I am an idiot for selling my extra set of wheels now that I'm considering this. I actually agree. The track thing didn't even cross my mind until after the wheels were shipped. Oops.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote