View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 02:57 PM   #12
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusivecar
I'll take issue with the "low miles" idea. Garage queens may look to be in better shape...but when a car or any piece of machinery is left to sit and driven gingerly on the occasional good weather Sunday I guarantee you will have MANY more troubles mechanically than one driven at least fairly regularly. The fluids need to keep flowing to lubricate the necessary parts...and this doesn't mean turning it on and letting it idle for 20 minutes a week in the winter. The car needs to be RUN! In summary look for a car with average to slightly below average miles in great shape. Get receipts for all work done...and open an account for repairs you will encounter!
Hi,

I believe that used to be true, but with Today's Cars, built to much higher tolerances, using better metallurgy, materials and modern electronics, it's become pretty much an old Wives Tale.

We have lots of Owners here with low-mileage cars and they don't report any greater incidence of problems than any others. There just doesn't seem to be any evidence to support this time-honored addage.

True, time will cause many parts to degrade, but that affects cars of all mileages. The overall maintenance costs can be higher for a low-mileage, seldom driven car because of this and their maintenance cost/mi. will be higher.

I say if the car looks good and PPIs fine, then the Odo reading should be of secondary to no concern...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote