View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #12
FrayAdjacent

My top is still acting weird, so I checked a few things. Pulled out the dash switch and tested it, seems to be getting connection when either direction is pushed. (verified with ohmmeter). I pulled the 'relay' and took off the cover... well, that sucker is all solid state in there, and it's much more than a relay. I figure it's more like a controller than just a relay.

Stopped by the dealer today and talked with the service writer, and then one of the techs... Definitely sounds like a switch or electrical problem. The tech mentioned a switch on the motor as a possible problem.

I got home and got to thinking... I put the top down and up a few times today before I left to go do errands, and it worked fine. Then when I stopped at a store, the top would not go up... had to mess with it for a few minutes, then finally it decided to go up.

After being home for a while, I decided to put it in service mode to check the motor and see if I could find this switch the tech mentioned. Well, the top didn't want to go down at first.

So I started thinking... Maybe it's heat soak in the motor. It's getting too hot, and won't run. I know that starter motors on old 911s can get temperamental when they get hot, often to the point that they won't respond to the ignition switch at all.

What do you guys think? Since the switches seem to work OK, maybe it's a bum motor?

Has anyone replaced the motor themselves?

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote